Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the way home from the Tucson gun show today, we stopped at the Pima County Fairgrounds for the Casa Grande gun show.

This Belgian Browning Hi Power joined my stable.....

BrowningHPBelg9mm_02.JPG

BrowningHPBelg9mm_03.JPG

For the past year or so (since Browning announced discontinuance of the venerable HP), I've been watching prices on Browning Hi Power's steadily climb. Today when I came across this Belgium made HP that was in great shape, "priced right" and importantly the seller seriously wanted my Model 66.........we struck up a deal..........I threw in a little cash and we exchanged guns.

I know we have several Browning HP fans here on the forum and we haven't featured pictures of em for awhile now..........so, let's see yours. How long have you had it?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
In 1981 I tried to find one of those and was willing to pay $500.00. I couldn't find one so I bought a M66-1 6" to take to the range. The guns that I lusted after and finally found years later were the 5906, and 629. I still have the M66-1 but Geezer was supposed to find me his little brother 2 1/2" at the last gun show. Oh well, some day I'll find a nice one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice find! Hi-Powers are really starting to climb in value.

I like Hi-Powers, and have had several over the years. Even built a 'combat custom' on a Hi-Power in the 80's.

My problem is I just can't keep them... I always seem to find something I want more, and they eventually get sold/traded.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Hey Bill,

That "***** Blanket" of yours.... sure finds the NICE ONES!

Great trade!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
12,660 Posts
This is a fine pistol and you have a great looking example. Here are some more:

This one was made in Herstal, Belgium (near Liege) and sold to the Israeli police. It was surplussed by them about 7 years ago, and imported to the US where it was parkerized:

HiPowerIsrael.jpg

This one has a more interesting background. During WW-II, the Germans occupied FN and took over their factory in Herstal, Belgium. A Canadian firm (John Inglis) reverse engineered the Hi Power design, and manufactured these pistols for the British and the Chinese. This one is from the Chinese contract. They differ from the FN pistols because they were designed in the Imperial measurement system (inches) rather than the metric. Like the early Hi Powers, this one has an adjustable tangent sight. It's shown with it's holster stock. (These are C&R and exempt from NFA rules for short barrel rifles).

InglisHiPower.jpg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
On the way home from the Tucson gun show today, we stopped at the Pima County Fairgrounds for the Casa Grande gun show.

This Belgian Browning Hi Power joined my stable.....

For the past year or so (since Browning announced discontinuance of the venerable HP), I've been watching prices on Browning Hi Power's steadily climb. Today when I came across this Belgium made HP that was in great shape, "priced right" and importantly the seller seriously wanted my Model 66.........we struck up a deal..........I threw in a little cash and we exchanged guns.

I know we have several Browning HP fans here on the forum and we haven't featured pictures of em for awhile now..........so, let's see yours. How long have you had it?
Very very sweet. I got to handle one when a local asked that I make him a special holster and it is one of those guns that just melt in your hand. I am not a huge 9mm fan but I will admit .. that sucker was sexy!!

·
Super Moderator
34,428 Posts
Those all look wonderful! Perhaps the only firearm husband wishes he had kept and paid for the new one instead of trading for it. A BHP that he traded in 1995 or so for the S&W model 25 we have here. He does wish he still had the Browning BUT the model 25-5 is his all time favorite centerfire handgun so...

There is always or often a trade off!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts