Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is an early A-5. I was going to leave it as is. Plans change and I'm having it refinished with a nice set of wood from a vintage A-5. The action main spring tube was broken. Which is an easy enough fix. On these older A-5's the tube is screwed in the best way to fix them. Is to sliver solder the tube in so then they will never break. And that would destroy the finish on the tang. So a refinish was in order. I'll post some before and after pix when I get it back. If I'm lucky I should have it back in a month or so.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have an Auto-5 made in 1959 same year I was born. Besides my 590A1, its the only shotgun I've used.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
For the longest time, I've preferred pump shotguns. The Remington 870. Recently, I've been shooting the Browning A-5 or its clone, the Remington Model 11. I've almost gotten used to the unique recoil of the Browning design. That long recoil "shuffle" put me off, initially.

Anyway, I bought the A-5 whenever I ran across them at a good price, thinking some day I'd shoot them. Well, that 'some day' has arrived. I think I may have gotten more adventurous in my dotage. So, yeah, I like them. I've always liked them, I just liked shooting pump guns more.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I love 'em! We have an old Browning and also one of the Remington versions. Once you learn the proper position for the recoil rings and exactly how much oil is required on the mag. tube, they are sweet-shooting.

All my shooting with them has been with heavy duck loads. IMO, they have less felt recoil than most gas-operated shotguns - (when you have those rings set right and the tube lubed just-right for the load at hand). Every time I've heard a shooter whining about one of them kicking too hard, I've found the rings set up wrong or the tube over-lubed.

xtm

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
xtm,

You got that right! Everytime I bought one of those things, the first thing I checked was the rings and lubrication on the magazine tube. The reason for that? I bought a U.S. marked Remington Model 11, didn't check the recoil rings, shot it with 00 buck and damned near broke my shoulder. :shock: At least it felt like it. Never again!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Everyone
Leighton
They are great guns. I like them the older the better. Hopefully mine will come back looking as new. I did not want to pop for a new set of wood. I went with used to keep the cost down.

QC
I like pump guns and auto's Heck I like just about all flavors of shotguns.

XTM
You are correct about the friction ring in the picture I just set the rings on the mag tube. In that position it's for light loads. When you use heavy loads it goes on the other end of the spring away from the reciever. All those rings are is a friction brake and they work well. On thing guys forget about. Is you have to have the ring and the spring around the ring aligned up so that the slot is open around the brass ring otherwise they do not work rite. When the friction rings are away from the receiver at the opposite end of the mag tube, they grab on the mag tube under recoil and work great. A simple design that works. I just lightly oil the mag tube.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Leighton,

Your a little older and wiser than I. I was born in 1960. My old 16 ga. A5 however is from 1953. It's my deer gun and use it every year.

Rick

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quarter Cherokee said:
xtm,

You got that right! Everytime I bought one of those things, the first thing I checked was the rings and lubrication on the magazine tube. The reason for that? I bought a U.S. marked Remington Model 11, didn't check the recoil rings, shot it with 00 buck and damned near broke my shoulder. :shock: At least it felt like it. Never again!
QC
Those are the lessons well learned. When you learn the hard way you don't forget . At least it works that way with me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like the A-5 a lot. my Dad bought a Light 12 in 1967. That was the gun that started me on A-5's.

I have used them for so long that nothing else feels quite right.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Looking for one right now. Father in law's was stolen a few years ago and I thought that if I could find a decent one at a reasonable price I would surprise him with it. He bought a cheaper gun to replace it and I think he pines for the Browning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts