Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Brought These 14s Home

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  ActiveShooter 
#1 ·
I was able to purchase these two 14s last week. I have loaded some HBWC, DEWC, and some LSWC to shoot at the range tomorrow.
#1 is a 14-2 and #2 is a 14-3. They didn’t come with boxes, however, both are in great condition. I have had a little experience with the Model 14, as my Dad was issued one by the Modesto Police Department in the 1970s. He quickly went to a Browning Hi Power, which I can’t blame him there.
Anyway, I look forward to a long and healthy relationship with these two. I hope they like wadcutters and Bullseye powder! Range Report to follow, if interested.
Gun Trigger Revolver Airsoft gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey Sun,

Wow! Great looking M-14's!

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut and Sunbear
#7 ·
Welcome to the forum. Well (you've been registered 9 years), welcome to posting to the forum. We always enjoy range reports.

I can't imaging carrying such a long barrel as a duty firearm, but the agency must have had their reasons. The Hi-Power would be considerably more comfortable to carry and the capacity safer for the officer.

Did you swap off the diamond grips to preserve them?

#9 ·
WOW! Some guys have all the luck! Very nice indeed!

#16 ·
I am certainly lucky to have found these two. I had been watching them for over a month and no one purchased them. There were some other Smiths from this huge estate collection, but I am partial to the 14s. I worked two extra days of overtime to pay for them. Needless to say, my wife wasn’t happy when I bought them. She is okay with it now! 😊

#11 ·
Wow two Model 14's, in one week! An outstanding week, and great way to start posting, Welcome to a great forum.
The 14 is an underappreciated gun with many of today's shooters, maybe because it's not plastic, or semi-auto, or a 357 magnum, I dont know, but it is a wonderful target gun.
I own a 14-3 with the 8 3/8 inch barrel, and it's an unusual day if I go to the range with out it. My favorite pistol, buy a huge margin.
The long barrel, on mine makes if a little awkward, for a holster, but other than that, no complaints. I would like to buy a 6 inch version if the right gun crossed my path.

Your 14 will like Bullseye and wadcutters just fine, as the 14 and wadcutters were a match made in Heaven.
I prefer the semiwadcutter, in my 38's. This goes back to my early days with a Ruger Black Hawk, and the semi wadcutter being easier to load through the loading gate.
At short distances.... Say out to twenty yards the wadcutter is usually dead even with the semiwadcutter, but as the distance increases the semi will do a bit better.
The Lyman 358 / 477 is what I use, and a medium charge of bullseye, in the 800 feet per second range, has worked well for me.
Bullseye shooters in the past used 2.8 - 3 grs of bullseye, and the full wadcutter, with great success for many years.
Enjoy your new guns in good heath!
BES

#12 ·
I have a model 14 that I picked up with a damaged barrel. Foun a NOS 8 3/8” barrel and had it installed by Master Gunsmith Jim Kelly. He recut the forcing cone the way he likes and installed with a .004 cylinder gap. After tweaking the action, he delivered me the most accurate S&W I own. It will shoot HBWC’s in one ragged hole at 25 yards with right man on the trigger. Not sure why, but the model 14’s seem to really like 148gr wadcutters

#20 ·
I was able to purchase these two 14s last week. I have loaded some HBWC, DEWC, and some LSWC to shoot at the range tomorrow.
#1 is a 14-2 and #2 is a 14-3. They didn’t come with boxes, however, both are in great condition. I have had a little experience with the Model 14, as my Dad was issued one by the Modesto Police Department in the 1970s. He quickly went to a Browning Hi Power, which I can’t blame him there.
Anyway, I look forward to a long and healthy relationship with these two. I hope they like wadcutters and Bullseye powder! Range Report to follow, if interested. View attachment 467129 View attachment 467129 View attachment 467130 View attachment 467130
[/QUOTE

#21 ·
I went to the club today and tested several loads. I tested hollow base wadcutters, double ended wadcutters, and semi -wadcutters. I used three powders, including Bullseye, WST, and 231. I shot all loads with two hands, standing at 25 yards. After lots of shooting, both revolvers seemed to agree on the 2.7 grain Bullseye load with the HBWC bullet. The marked bullet holes are the 14-2 and the unmarked bullet holes are the 14-3. I need a lot more practice, but I really am enjoying these revolvers.
Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Sport venue Precision sports

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.