Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M-27 that I bought new in 1989 has a broken yoke. The tube that the cylinder rides in broke off from the frame on the yoke. I have fired 15,000 rounds through it, mostly .38 Specials. It sports a 8 3/8" barrel. Has anyone else had this happen? I have larger caliber S & W N frame revolvers; kind of surprising that the M-27 woudl be the one that has a broken yoke.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mine are older than yours and no issues. I don’t know the round counts but a lot and also a lot of .357 mags. Sometimes things just break?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pistol is back at S & W....not certain what will happen next, but I remain optimistic that they will replace the yoke and it'll be as good as new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As the revolver has had a lot of shots through it, maybe they'll rebuild it as well...maybe even reblue it???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called S & W today to inquire on the status on my returned Model 27; I was told they overhauled it, changed the barrel (from a 8 3/8" to a 6.5"), re-blued it, replaced the broken yoke----they want me to pay $646! They never contacted me about doing this--I amused that the broken yoke was a warranty issue. I've been told by those that are acquainted with such issues that it was most certainly a manufacturing defect. I am sort of stuck--pay up or let them keep it. Perhaps others that have had this issue can give me some guidance. Seems to me the prudent man rule would be that they'd have contacted me to advise the cost to do the work that they deemed necessary first--even an automotive garage does that.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I'd call Customer Service. You didn't ask for a barrel swap either, did you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did call...I did not ask for a barrel swap, but did tell them that the front sight was canted to the 11:00 o'clock position by a few degrees. When I bought it new in 1989 the pistol would not shoot to center. S & W told me to send it back...they then twisted the barrel so that the front sight was canted. I did not want a new barrel nor did I want a shorter one.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hmmm...that's a bummer.

They likely don't have any replacement 8 3/8" barrels in inventory.

I wouldn't have accepted the canted sight after they twisted it on its first return.

Time to be assertive. I'd start by telling them the barrel swap is not acceptable, to put original barrel back in, and reduce the charges for that work! You lived with canted sight all this time. Or you can likely find a good used barrel replacement and have it installed locally. A lot were changed out to shorter barrels.

I also have no doubt the broken yoke axis was defective. Was there charges for that?

If you don't get satisfaction, ask to talk to the next higher level employee, whoever supervises the person your speaking to. Be polite.

The overhaul is worth the cost, whatever part of the total charges that was; you'll have a like new gun.

Good luck and let us know what happens,
Jim

·
Premium Member
9,912 Posts
Not shooting to center, and later a broken yoke... I've never heard of canting a barrel that far to resolve an accuracy problem. Strange. Could things have been way out of specification from the very start?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am still "negotiating" with them----I got conflicting information from two different CSR'S there as to whether the pistol has already been repaired---if not I want it back with the new yoke ... I can live with the canted barrel. I bought the pistol when I was much younger in 1989 and wasn't sharp enough to argue with them as to how they corrected it not shooting to POA.

The itemized sales quote shows yes they want to charge me for a replacement yoke. I feel it shoudl be covered under-----see below

Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the warranty period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989, and any M&P15 series rifle, that is found to have a defect in material or workmanship. Eligibility for this Lifetime Service Policy requires returning the Product Registration Card within 30 days of purchase. The Lifetime Service Policy covers functional defects; it does not include the firearm’s finish, grips, magazines or sights. The Lifetime Service Policy is in addition to and not an extension of the Smith & Wesson Warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may also have other rights that vary from State to State.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a call from S & W this morning...they decided that the broken yoke was due to wear & tear and is not covered under their Lifetime Service Policy. The local gunshops, that are far more knowledgeable about these things, told me that they never seen a broken yoke on an M-27 (unless it was bent., which mine was not) and that it is definitely a manufacturing defect. They admonished me to send it to S & W and that they'd take good care of me. When I spoke to S & W I was told that only they can determine what is covered and what is not---all I asked was they replace the yoke and send it back----they would not. So I asked they return it to me with a new yoke and I'd replace it...again they said "NO". I was polite & respectful but very assertive. When I get it back I will get a replacement yoke.

I am appalled by how S & W handled this. I have had dealings with Ruger & Taurus. Both gave me some minor issues, but in the end treated me fairly. I got the feeling that they wanted make things right and cared about my problem. I did not get that "feeling" with S & W. Needless to say I will never buy a new firearm or product from them ever again. I trusted in them and their Lifetime Service Policy. Also, I took good care of my M-27....that was noted by S & W. Most of my shooting with it was with .38 Spl P+ loads..with relatively few full factory magnum ammunition. Let it be known that I didn't abuse this pistol expecting the manufacturer to fix everything for free.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I called S & W today to inquire on the status on my returned Model 27; I was told they overhauled it, changed the barrel (from a 8 3/8" to a 6.5"), re-blued it, replaced the broken yoke----they want me to pay $646! They never contacted me about doing this--I amused that the broken yoke was a warranty issue. I've been told by those that are acquainted with such issues that it was most certainly a manufacturing defect. I am sort of stuck--pay up or let them keep it. Perhaps others that have had this issue can give me some guidance. Seems to me the prudent man rule would be that they'd have contacted me to advise the cost to do the work that they deemed necessary first--even an automotive garage does that.
Where did Smith & Wesson get the idea that you wanted different a barrel and to have the gun re-blued? I'm not saying it isn't true but it's difficult for me to believe that Smith & Wesson arbitrarily decided to do those things with absolutely no input or suggestion from you.

As far as the broken yoke, I'm no gunsmith but I did carry/use Smith revolvers at my job. I can't count the number of times I was forced to use them as club because of changing conditions/fortunes during altercations (and it was what was in my hand or all that was available). For me, those revolvers were as sure as the sun coming up in the morning.

I buy/use things for how well they perform (especially firearms), not how the warranty department treats me. I ride a particular brand of motorcycle seat and nothing else because of how it performs. The company is absolutely legendary for their poor customer service yet they continue to thrive despite people posting CS horror stories on the internet. If I need something repaired or done to one of my saddles, I know going in that I'm going to have it repaired somewhere else. However, that won't dissuade me from buying another one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought the pistol in 1989....the pistol failed to shoot to POA even shooting too far one side----I had to send it back. What they did was twist the barrel so the front sight was canted to the 11:00 o.clock position. I never liked that but lived with it. When the yoke broke I figured I could have them also fix that issue....IMHO they caused it. However they claim they cannot fix it--the barrel has to be cut and replaced and then re-blued---they wanted to charge me for everything. I compromised and told them just to replace the yoke and return it to me...leaving the barrel alone.

I used mainly .38 Spl P+ loads in the M-27 with few factory magnum rounds....the yoke broke and I feel that it was due to a manufacturing defect--S & W calls it "wear & tear". When I want to buy a new pistol I shall not forget how I was treated and will not buy any of their products ever again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought the pistol in 1989....the pistol failed to shoot to POA even shooting too far one side----I had to send it back. What they did was twist the barrel so the front sight was canted to the 11:00 o.clock position. I never liked that but lived with it. When the yoke broke I figured I could have them also fix that issue....IMHO they caused it. However they claim they cannot fix it--the barrel has to be cut and replaced and then re-blued---they wanted to charge me for everything. I compromised and told them just to replace the yoke and return it to me...leaving the barrel alone.

I used mainly .38 Spl P+ loads in the M-27 with few factory magnum rounds....the yoke broke and I feel that it was due to a manufacturing defect--S & W calls it "wear & tear". When I want to buy a new pistol I shall not forget how I was treated and will not buy any of their products ever again.
I hope you can get it sorted out.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts