Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my HP out today to do some work on the grips. Went to make sure it was clear and the cylinder wouldnt open. I used the eraser end of a pencil and got it tight enough to open the cylinder, then inserted empty cases and snugged it down. Next I decided to pull the trigger. It didnt feel right at all. At first the trigger didnt want to pullso I pulled a bit harder and ...... oh, thats not right. It released but something want right. I pulled the side plate, then the hammer. Went to pop out the rebound slide and there it was... the rebound slide is broken
Auto part

This revolver was made in 1955. Does anyone know if the rebound slide is the same on K,L & N frames? Will have to see if i can get one

·
Registered
30,035 Posts
Wow...that must of happened the last time you shot it at the pit. Weird though that it broke on your last shot...for you not to notice it until now.:unsure:

·
Registered
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably cycled the action a time or 2 when I cleaned it after the last time I shot it. Weird that the cylinder was locked up due to the backed out ejection rod and had a cracked rebound slide at the same time. Will have to check my shop manual to see if I can get a new one or if it has to be from an older gun
Anyone happen to have a rebound slide in the parts bin they would sell to me??

·
Registered
304 Posts
First time I have ever seen that happen on a S&W revolver (have owned numerous S&W revolvers over the past 50 years and have seen many breaks and malfunctions but not like yours). Had a 2" model 64 stainless at one time and the hammer stud broke off from inside the frame. S&W fixed it and was promptly returned. But as they say, anything mechanical can break and there is always the first time. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,674 Posts
Glad you could get the part. Remember that those are polished and mated with the frame. Take your time, and get some Prussian Blue to mark things before you stone it.

·
Registered
15,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad you could get the part. Remember that those are polished and mated with the frame. Take your time, and get some Prussian Blue to mark things before you stone it.
Yep, I have polished a few rebound slides & frames and have all I need to make this one a smooth as glass. Far from an expert but i do know enough to stay away from the sear with a stone.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts