Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke another Lee Auto-Prime Last Night. This is the second - maybe third - I've broken! I can't remember which. Here is a photo of the POS gadget next to one of the old and reliable Lee prime tools that I've used since I bought it new ~ 1972.

I wonder why Lee can't make cheap pot metal junk as sturdy as they formerly did? and yes..., the links were all lubricated properly - and no..., I did not apply too much pressure to the thumb lever - only enough to properly seat the primer.

I used to be a big fan of Lee's entry-level equipment - but no more. I'm now disgusted with their reloading dies and cheap aluminum bullet moulds, too. Skip the Lee junk and buy something that will last a lifetime!

xtm

·
Administrator
8,128 Posts
I've never had a problem with mine either. But, then again, I have one of the old style.. They seem to last a long time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
While I have broken one of these, I also have worn several of them out.

Now I do no hand priming. It's all done on the press. Whether it's Dillon or Lee (Classic Cast Turret Press) that is the much better way to go. You can "feel" primer seating even on the XL650. I didn't think I would be able to, but you can.

Saves time, I like that!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also perform most of my priming duties on a progressive - one of the RCBS Piggy-Back conversions that sits on top of a Rock Chucker - and believe-it-or-not, you can "feel" the primer seat with the big compounding press!

However, there are some of my loads that I desire to be of a 1st class "precision" or "benchrest" quality, and I want to properly clean out the primer pockets of choice, selected, uniform brass and primer seat by hand. These would be hunting loads, precision revolver loads, and true benchrest loads. I use a benchrest-type priming tool for most of these duties, but enjoyed the idea of speed with the inexpensive Lee Auto-Prime with the revolver loads. I'd better have a look at the RCBS! :)

I recently posted a photo of the high-quality Simmons Re/De-capping tool over in the Black Powder Forum, but I'll put one here, too. I have several different shell-holders and decapping rods for it and can re/de-prime dozens of cartridges with this combination.

xtm

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I bought a Lee 4 years ago, so I don't know if that is considered "new" or "old". When I did buy it I also bought an extra push handle/lever, or whatever its called. I've never broke one, but I gradually bent one over thousands of uses to the point where it no longer will seat properly. I have learned only to do pistol cases with it, as large rifle (.444, 45-70, etc.) cases are next to impossible to do on it, and I could see how a lever would break if doing rifle cases. I guess I am satisfied with my Lee, till it breaks, then I'll get an RCBS.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Buy the RCBS one, that is what I use. The Lee press and the dies are ok. I also use an RCBS and Lyman products without any issues.

Mike

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've even broken the older Lee models. But that was after many thousands of rounds. Now, I go back and forth between priming on the Lee Classic Cast press and the bench-mounted RCBS automatic priming tool. I get a great "feel" with each.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bill56, I have not done 1000's of rounds with some of my Lee's yet. But have done it with my RCBS no problem and have gotten a 30/06 stuck in my resizing die because of my own fault tring a spray on lube. Never did get the case out.

Mike

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I'm going on three years using my Lee Autoprime. It's the kind with the square primer trays. I'd guess it's done about 3-4000 rounds. The plastic around the primer seating area is wearing out. I will probably replace it with an RCBS hand primer when it goes. The Lee reloading stuff has it's place. Some of it is well designed but material is cheap to keep price down. Great for the beginner or casual reloader but wont hold up under constant high volume use.
John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts