Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a #4 MK 1 rifle yesterday. A friend was looking for a decent shooter after shooting my Savage #4 so when I
I stumbled upon this one I snatched it up. It had the usual post war preservative in just about every nook and cranny.
It should be a good shooter..has one of the nicest barrels I've seen on one of these. It has an import mark as
most do and needed a good cleaning. I gave $125 as is..cleaned up quite well. One question..the notch to remove the bolt
is at the rear of the receiver...the notch on my Savage is to the front of the receiver..not a big deal..just curious. here's a
few pics. Dick

100_1884.JPG
100_1885.JPG
100_1888.JPG
100_1889.JPG

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Nice! My sporterized .303 is a great shooter.

·
Super Moderator
19,324 Posts
You did well at that price.
I have 2 Enfield's. One is sporterized for deer hunting, and the other is in full original military configuration.
4 years ago I paid $200 for the military version, and $100 for the sporterized version. Both are still in 303 Brit, just they way they should be.
Congratulations on the addition to your military collection.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love a good Mauser,,,,,,,, but, sometimes it is refreshing to handle a rifle that has NOTHING copied or in common with a Mauser.
That would be an Enfield. Strictly a beast onto themselves.
Enfields rock.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Great rifle. Rugged. Reliable. Very effective caliber for hunting. The WWII era and later receivers were a bit heavier, stiffer ... better general accuracy. The rear take down notch was how the rifles were normally made. IIRC, Savage used a take down notch at the front of the receiver that allowed a reduction in machine work/complexity. Just a suggestion ... keep your eyes open for Greek HXP .303 ball. it is great stuff. Boxer primed. Use the once fired cases for reloading. Neck size them barely touching the shoulder w/ the die. Result will be much better control of headspace and much extended brass life as well as improved on target results. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I

No 4 Mk 1 rifles are always fun to shoot. Looks like the Mk 3 sight on it? The notch of the Savage rifles (and Long Branch too I believe) were up front and just as functional as the original design that remained on the British made rifles. It was a manufacturing short cut for the war

While on an assignment in Central Asia, I saw both No 1 MkIII and No4 Mk1 rifles still in use with the militias.

As you can see, I've been shooting Lee Enfields for sometime.

Lee Enfields-800-90%.jpg

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just picked up my first Enfield (Savage, actually) No 4 MKI am hoping to get some insight into what I have here (or what I don't have, if that's the case).
In a multi item purchase, the almost "freebie" in the deal was this quite tired old 1942 Savage No4 MKI. The bore was so dark, it sucked all the lumens out of my bore light. At first, getting a patch down her was a chore, but several one hour sessions with various potions that reeked and foamed, and copper wool wrapped around an old bore brush, etc... The bore looks "better", but the amazing thing is it shoots okay with her battle peep and 150 gr S&B SPs.

Now here is where it gets unusual; this one is marked on the buttstock "S51" and has cheek piece screw holes in her comb, but the cheek piece is gone (Bubba don't need no cheek piece?), and on the left side of the receiver as S No4 MKI , (over) -1942-. It has No32 type scope pads screwed to the left receiver wall and no stampings on the wrist, no "T" or "R" visible, just the S/N, which is "13C68XX", both on the wrist and stamped on the back of the bolt handle, visible from the rear. The word "ENGLAND" is stamped into the front receiver ring.
When I got it, Bubba had already been kind enough to have removed the rear sight and installed a "no gunsmithing, no zero-holding" scope mount with a Redfield 6-18 target scope on her!
So after cleaning, and reading, and cleaning some more, I purchased a milled rear sight (marked "F" with a Broad Arrow next to it, in the white and with a battle peep), a magazine marked "SMC" on the follower, a front sling swivel, ejector screw and a replacement trap door for the butt (original was broken). None of the replacement parts cost me an arm or a leg, so I'm not going to cry over those small expenditures, they were needed to give it some semblance of completeness.
When I did shoot her, we only had about 75 yards, and I had a 25yd pistol target, but between two shooters, she grouped center in the black with the battle peep.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Looks to me to be a legitimate sniper left with the correct scope blocks and cocking piece.
VeryCool

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks to me to be a legitimate sniper left with the correct scope blocks and cocking piece.
VeryCool
Well, I hope so. There were a lot of "post-war renditions" of these made, heck, I remember seeing them as a kid (they were cheaper, too!) It would be nice to think I accidentally stumbled across a real one, even if it never got it's own glass mated to it.

·
Registered
13,520 Posts
The S51 marking on the buttstock is a sniper rifle marking and the mounts on the receiver seem to confirm that . Most are marked on the wrist socket No 4Mk1T with a date.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts