Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
The link I supplied above answers some of those questions. The Threepersons holster was a pared down Brill, maybe. Similar holsters, to both styles had been around for years. The Brill was designed as a lightweight holster to be worn on the trouser belt. The cuff allowed the cant of the holster to be designed in and the position of the fold determined the width of the belt. The article explains it better. The examples I have used and own are not light by any means. I hope to get an accurate reproduction for my 4鈥, N frame soon

Kevin
Thanks Kevin.
The article did answer many of my questions. I've got one more, though.....Do ALL Brills have that tapered wedge welt stitched into the toe? That's something I failed to add in my attempt.....strictly because I hadn't noticed that detail on the examples I've examined.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks Kevin.
The article did answer many of my questions. I've got one more, though.....Do ALL Brills have that tapered wedge welt stitched into the toe? That's something I failed to add in my attempt.....strictly because I hadn't noticed that detail on the examples I've examined.
Good question but way out of my ken. Maybe try contacting Red?

I would be interested in the answer. It is interesting to me how similar the Threepersons is to the Brill.

Kevin

Super Moderator
I would gander to guess that I have at least 1 Brill designed holsters in my collection. I have at least 1 or 2 El Paso Saddlery holsters like these.
I'll dig into my holster box in a few days and see what I really have hiding in there.

Registered
Great examples of some fine holsters everyone. Thanks for sharing the pics.(y)(y)

Registered
With all this talk about Brill holsters, I picked the brain of a good friend who has a few about their construction so鈥檚 I might be able to do better on my next try at one. Out of The Blue, I received this most-excellent gift from him in the mail today - The Real Deal!

As 鈥渟mall鈥 as this holster appears in the hand...it perfectly fits a 4鈥 K-Frame into a tight efficient concealment package.

This Brill holster does NOT use lightweight leather per se, it uses medium-weight saddle skirting. Even though Brill holsters have a full-length rear fender, the 鈥渃uff鈥, and a thick stacked welt on the stitched seam, each of those features has a purpose and there is absolutely NO excess leather used in the design. Even though it has a 鈥渨estern鈥 look, it was meant to be carried high on a trouser belt, tight against the body.

Of special note is the extra wedge stitched into the welt at the toe - which pushes the end of the revolver barrel away from the thigh and turns the butt of the revolver flat against the body. You also get a look at the unique manner in which Brill stitched the rear fender to a 鈥渓ip鈥 extension of the pouch:

Front and rear look at the result of adding that toe wedge:

...a look inside to examine the welt. The revolver frame is wedged between this wide welt and the fold at the front of the holster.

Now this is perfect fit for concealed retention:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Nice present!

The Sunday holster, as it has been called, was to be worn on the trouser belt not on a separate gunbelt The days of the extra gunbelt with spare ammunition were rapidly passing for the Rangers in the cities. It truly pated away all excess leather. When built properly, the Sunday holster did not require additional restraining devices. The construction of the holster was sufficient to hold the revolver in place. Retention straps came along when leathermakers tried to make holsters as a 鈥渙ne size fits all鈥 item. At that point, retention straps became necessary because it was faster to make a pouch not a holster.

Kevin

Registered
...a question for the fellas making Brill-a-like holsters:
How do you get that cuff wrapped TIGHT around the holster pouch? Getting that 鈥渏ust right seemed impossible when I was finishing that step. I鈥檝e tried both hand stitching and riveting with glue but struggled with a cuff loop either too loose or too tight to allow stitching the toe to the fender.
Look how tight the cuff fits around the pouch:

One last selfie-photo illustrating the aggressive butt-forward cant of a Brill holster:

Registered
Straw Hat inspired me to attempt a Brill-alike for an N-Frame - this one for a 3 1/2鈥 M-27:

With a genuine Brill to examine as I went along, I was able to get a bit more authentic this time - installing a thicker stitching welt, a toe-wedge insert, and half-lining:

The 3 1/2鈥 27 isn鈥檛 around here right now, so I shoved in a longer 4鈥 M-21 to check the fit and see how it rides on the belt. The holster holds it nice and snug, but the barrel butts against the toe welt and stands ~1/4鈥 out of the holster:

Comparison:

Premium Member
Very impressive. How do you stitch that thick welt? An awl would seem impossible. Do you use a drill press?

Registered
Yes, I had to use a drill press and a longer bit than the usual to keep the chuck jaws out of the way. I picked a bit size that was just large enough to make a hole that would still hold-fast to waxed thread. The stitching needle on my Stewart hand-stitcher was too short, too, so I had to use the basic saddle stitch and two needles. Instead of using waxed twisted linen thread as usual, I used waxed braided nylon thread. I knew I would have to soak the holster pouch in water and fold that thick welt nearly in half to get it inside the attached cuff. I was afraid linen thread would break under that stress and spoil the whole project at the very end!

Registered
Thanks for all the Brill info. I鈥檝e only seen a few examples in person....and recently made this attempt at one myself:

The Brill examples I鈥檝e examined all had the wide stitched welt, uniquely stitched toe connecting the pouch to the back flap, and the rakish 鈥渃uff鈥 set at various places along the pouch to accommodate a specific belt width. I set this one up to take a 1 1/2鈥-1 3/4鈥 belt.

Wow!!! Just Wow!!! Sincerely. bruce.

Registered
For my Sunday go to Meeting...........I sport'd this rig for quite a while.

Now, since we're not having Sunday services....I jest wear this'n

Or this one,

I personal like the gunbelt and pant belt combo.

Premium Member
Thanks for the info. I tried my hand at holsters some years ago and gave it up as a bad go. My palm can just take so much.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Yes, I had to use a drill press and a longer bit than the usual to keep the chuck jaws out of the way. I picked a bit size that was just large enough to make a hole that would still hold-fast to waxed thread. The stitching needle on my Stewart hand-stitcher was too short, too, so I had to use the basic saddle stitch and two needles. Instead of using waxed twisted linen thread as usual, I used waxed braided nylon thread. I knew I would have to soak the holster pouch in water and fold that thick welt nearly in half to get it inside the attached cuff. I was afraid linen thread would break under that stress and spoil the whole project at the very end!
Nice job!!

Looking forward to your next project!

Kevin

21 - 38 of 38 Posts