Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson 9mm Model 659. Does it matter if I use brass or steel case ammo? Will one make the barrel or other parts wear faster?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I always go with brass.

Reactions: Postofficemike659

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
I never use steel cases... Brass is much better for your gun, and it is recyclable.

Reactions: Postofficemike659

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
If it is all you can get, a little steel probably won't hurt anything, but it would be a last resort. Aluminum is a little better than steel but brass is best

·
Registered
213 Posts
You can use either. I reload, so I usually shoot brass cased ammo, but I've used my share of steel cased ammo without issue.

I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson 9mm Model 659. Does it matter if I use brass or steel case ammo? Will one make the barrel or other parts wear faster?

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts
If it is all you can get, a little steel probably won't hurt anything, but it would be a last resort. Aluminum is a little better than steel but brass is best
I agree with Jonesy! These days it is getting to where you use what you can find and get, but brass is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
My shop sells any ammo we can get right now. Much of it is steel cased now. The owner of my shop did a little hardness test, and the steel casings were so soft they easily scratched, and dented almost the same as brass. The steel was never hardened during the manufacturing process, and it appears to be much the same density as their brass equivalent casings. The only problem we see with steel casings is the lacquer they're coated with can gum up a chamber.
For a semi-auto pistol the solution is super easy. Remove the barrel and drop it into either denatured alcohol for a few minutes and then brush out the lacquer, or us lacquer thinner and do the same. When done, clean the barrel as usual, and lightly oil when putting the pistol back together.
Steel itself can't hurt your chambers because the chambers and steel they're made of is hardened and are roughly 5-10X harder than the worst steel casings available, depending on what the manufacturers decide to do when heat treating the barrels..
People (most shooters, and all reloaders) hate steel because they can't reload it, and it amounts to throwing money down the drain with each and every trigger pull.

·
Premium Member
17,265 Posts
The steel used in cases is mild steel. They wouldn't be able to form it into cases if it were hardened steel.

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have almost 50000 rounds through my modified Sigma, a large amount steel cased. There is no difference in the amount of wear because the steel is not hardened. There is no damage to the extractor or ejector.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Many do not know of the cautions against steel-cased ammo in the Bible.

Deuteronomy 9-12
9“When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. 10There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who shoots with steel-cased ammo or one who calls up the dead. 12For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anyone is free to run cheap steel case ammo if they wish. I'm not going to use it in my pistols.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts