Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've been looking into getting a C&B revolver in .36 caliber and had a question about the frame. I've read about steel frames being stronger than brass for hotter loads but was wondering if the caliber plays a role in that. I'm thinking the .36 may be easier on a frame than the .44, and I'm not going to hot rod the loads. I guess what I'm asking is will the brass frame be okay in the smaller caliber? The only thing I have to base this on is that my Model 29 requires a stronger (heavier?) frame than my Model 637. Any thoughts? Thanx. :cool:

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The Remington closed frame design in 36 or 45 is significantly stronger than the open frame Colts. If you are looking at occasional plinking, a brass -framed 36 navy is hard to beat and will hold up well enough to normal black powder loads.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Black powder burns slower than smokeless & there isn't a lot of problem stretching frames like modern guns. Brass cleans up easier than steel. Black powder is corrosive & needs cleaning after shooting. Either brass or steel are plenty strong enough for BP if used properly.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Remington closed frame design in 36 or 45 is significantly stronger than the open frame Colts. If you are looking at occasional plinking, a brass -framed 36 navy is hard to beat and will hold up well enough to normal black powder loads.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that it's only for plinking and casual target shooting. One in particular I'm looking at is Uberti's 1862 Pocket Navy in .36 with a 5.5" barrel. Another one is the Uberti 1851 Navy in .36 with a 5" barrel. Both are steel-framed. Is there a brass-framed .36 Navy with a shorter barrel? Don't ask me why but for some reason the shorter barrels appeal to me more.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Check the gun shows and flea markets. I last played with this back in the mail order days with Dixie Gun Works and Navy Arms. If you shop a bit on gunbroker and armslist I’m sure you can find just what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Around here the brass frame cap and ball revolvers sell for less than the steel versions.

John

Reactions: lawdog

·
Registered
111 Posts
i would never have a "brass" framed C&B colt, rem, etc, that i wanted for a long term use hand-me-down pistol replica.

"brass" (really depends on the exact alloy content of whatever yellowed metal is being used) has the propensity to change shape with detonation use. for the very most part, not immediately, but over time and use ....

i prefer the safety and longevity of steel, any decent steel.

ymmv.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts