Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a question – would a gold bead/brass bead front site on a revolver (I’m strongly considering such for my 4” 686 .357, and my 5” 460V “hand cannon) over the ramped site with the red insert that each of those came with/currently have???

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I’ve got a question – would a gold bead/brass bead front site on a revolver (I’m strongly considering such for my 4” 686 .357, and my 5” 460V “hand cannon) over the ramped site with the red insert that each of those came with/currently have???
Dr, trying to read your handwriting, not getting anywhere. It seems you knocked down all the pins except the nine left standing. Let’s set them back up and roll that second ball?

Kevin

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
My 625JM has a brass bead front sight and I didn't know if I'd like it but I do. Easy to pick up quickly and my old eyes see it very well.

·
Registered
616 Posts
A handgun of mine came with a fiber optic with different color inserts. One insert was white. Once I tried it, I really liked it. I now have white bead front sights on 3 traditional deer rifles and they really work great for my 71 yo eyes. A big improvement for me over gold/brass beads and fiber optics. Just another option to consider.

Joe

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
A handgun of mine came with a fiber optic with different color inserts. One insert was white. Once I tried it, I really liked it. I now have white bead front sights on 3 traditional deer rifles and they really work great for my 71 yo eyes. A big improvement for me over gold/brass beads and fiber optics. Just another option to consider.

Joe
Kind of makes sense. A popular option in the old days was an ivory bead. Seems like that would have a similar look to the white fiber optic

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again – I should’ve been abit clearer about what I was considering . . . I wasn’t going to modify the existing red-ramp factory-provided sight. My intent was to change it for an entirely new/different gold/brass bead. I hadn’t even heard of the white bead, but I like that option alot, too. I also took notice of the ramp sights with the lighter color inserts. I may experiment with what I’ve got using lighter colors. Options, options, options . . . too many options for this old fudd, but that’s great – gives me something to do. To all who’ve responded – many Thank You’s!!!

And, a blessing to you was my not submitting in my own handwriting – I took Crappy Penmanship 101 in med school, and I passed at the top of the class!!! OK, that could be considered a dubious distinction, but hey, it is what it is. Some think that crappy penmanship is a requisite for admission to med school, and I’ll go with that . . . Warmest regards.

·
Registered
260 Posts
DrDoctor: My 66 year old almost worn out eyes pick up a bright yellow front site fairly well. I have always had a hard time picking up a red front site.

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
I have a couple on both handgun & rifle, they work very well.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Again – I should’ve been abit clearer about what I was considering . . . I wasn’t going to modify the existing red-ramp factory-provided sight. My intent was to change it for an entirely new/different gold/brass bead. I hadn’t even heard of the white bead, but I like that option alot, too. I also took notice of the ramp sights with the lighter color inserts. I may experiment with what I’ve got using lighter colors. Options, options, options . . . too many options for this old fudd, but that’s great – gives me something to do. To all who’ve responded – many Thank You’s!!!

And, a blessing to you was my not submitting in my own handwriting – I took Crappy Penmanship 101 in med school, and I passed at the top of the class!!! OK, that could be considered a dubious distinction, but hey, it is what it is. Some think that crappy penmanship is a requisite for admission to med school, and I’ll go with that . . . Warmest regards.
FYI, I you remove the red insert, you can replace it with a toothbrush handle of the desired color. Trim it with a box blade or xacto knife to the profile a little oversize, force it into the groove and trim it.
I have been adding inserts this way since 1975 using a small file set to cut the notch.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m staring 70 in the face, and I can see fine (č corrective lenses). But, the red insert on the front blade isn’t all that easy for me to distinguish, and that’s why I’m investigating viable alternatives to the existing front sight.

Newell,
That’s an approach that frankly I never would’ve tho’t of. I’m going to look into that, as well. Thx for the idea . . .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts