Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through that discussion, I looked at the plastic insert in the front sight of the 19-3. It was looking pretty dull. Becky's doctor appointments have all been canceled, the stores are either closed or restricted in goods or products. The gun shops are too busy, some have raised prices and I can wait because S&W revolvers are not the hot commodity. I will wait a week to see if someone traded in grandpa's old gun on a plastic fantastic. Anyway, quarantine boredom exercise in keeping my hands busy,, shaping, polishing and fitting a chunk of a penny as a front sight insert.
20200326_055010_1585227927399.jpg
20200326_055052_1585227982019.jpg

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Hey ****,

That is.................PURDY as a SHINY, NEW PENNY!!

Well DONE!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360 and Boriqua

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Great idea... now you've got me thinking about some other possible metals to use.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Looks great and I bet the sight just pops out for you now. Great job and good idea.:cool:

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would like to add that a white/ivory front sight doesn’t glare like others. I have a slight astigmatism and gold and fiber optic sights often glare for me in bright sunlight where white doesn’t. White also picks up well in low light for me.

Joe A.

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Gold beads and Ivory beads were some of the first "Night Sights". They will reflect any available light, and as such were more like a "Low Light" sight. one of the early King sights had a small mirror below the bead to reflect light up onto it

·
Registered
351 Posts
In the Gunsmithing forum, in started a topic entitled “Gold-Bead (Sort Of) Front Sight – Homemade Version”, I describe the steps I took to turn the factory-installed red-ramp front sight into a brass-bead front sight. So, I won’t repeat all the steps here. Suffice it to say – it worked, and it looks great!!!

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great idea... now you've got me thinking about some other possible metals to use.

Brass & nickel work very well.
I recall reading some place about dimes being the metal used to replace SAA front sights. It was half of the coin, silver soldered to the barrel. It would be a nice touch having an 1880s vintage half of a dime on a SAA. Expensive if you found one with the groved edge, but nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts