Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it took me taking a couple days off work to get this accomplished, but man is it satisfying. 3 days so far of my 4 day weekend have gotten me to this stage. I cleaned out 7-8 large bags filled with useless things and trash. Cardboard, and stuff i was hanging onto for no good reason. Still got some more to do, but i will be taking it easy Sunday.

I still have yet to make even one bullet, or deprime one case, but i am satisfied.

So aside from loads of research, reading all my manuals, and taking my time and being meticulous, any first time tips or things to look out for, for someone who has a setup ready but hasn't even screwed one die in yet lol?

·
Registered
12,600 Posts
I started reloading in 2014. First I had to clear a space in the basement. While building a bench I was doing a lot of reading on the subject. Finally I set up the press and went to town loading. Was about a month long process to get everything ready

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nice set up. Looks like you plan to load quite a few calibers, BDogg464d. It also looks like it's time to screw in some of those dies into that fine turret press and make some ammo!

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Wish I was as OCD about my bench! I sure won't be showing any pics!:LOL:
Nice set up!
One thing you may want to consider down the road is the Inline Fabrication press riser and some of their press accessories; great stuff, very good folks to do business with.

Reactions: Spade5 and Golphin

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks like a good set up. Just take your time and maybe start by doing one step at a time. Like deprime and size the brass you plan to load. Then prime them after case inspection. Then add the flare (pistol) , measure and add powder and continue until you have some made up. I would only make a dozen or so and test them before making a large batch and finding yourself having to pull them al.l Check an double check your loads with the book before you start. Only have the one powder you are using near or on the bench while loading.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Golphin, good advice on the small test batch, along with the other info. I am wary of course, but i do have a good attention to detail so i think ill be fine. This latest ammo dry up finally pushed me over the edge of wanting to reload. The bulk deal i got on the second hand reloading equipment (minus the press) was to good to pass up, to be able to make my own ammo when i need it, and cheaper.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
So it took me taking a couple days off work to get this accomplished, but man is it satisfying. 3 days so far of my 4 day weekend have gotten me to this stage. I cleaned out 7-8 large bags filled with useless things and trash. Cardboard, and stuff i was hanging onto for no good reason. Still got some more to do, but i will be taking it easy Sunday.

I still have yet to make even one bullet, or deprime one case, but i am satisfied.

So aside from loads of research, reading all my manuals, and taking my time and being meticulous, any first time tips or things to look out for, for someone who has a setup ready but hasn't even screwed one die in yet lol? View attachment 479643 View attachment 479644 View attachment 479645 View attachment 479646
Jonesey will be a fan, he has the Guiness record for reloading on a Lee turret...:) congrats mate great past time, you wont save a dime, you will shoot more.

thewelshm

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

So aside from loads of research, reading all my manuals, and taking my time and being meticulous, any first time tips or things to look out for, for someone who has a setup ready but hasn't even screwed one die in yet lol? View attachment 479643 View attachment 479644 View attachment 479645 View attachment 479646
Wish I was as OCD about my bench! I sure won't be showing any pics!:LOL:
Nice set up!
One thing you may want to consider down the road is the Inline Fabrication press riser and some of their press accessories; great stuff, very good folks to do business with.

what I don't mind showing mine...:)

thewelshm

Attachments

Reactions: BDogg464d

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Mine is 2 4' sections of gorilla rack with 1.5" thick plywood tops; 1 section for metallic, one for shotgun. Since those machines are in a window in the front of the house, they have huge black plastic bags to disguise them from someone passing by. I need another 2-4" for each area but no room in this house. Now my wife and her jewelry hobby takes up what was once the dining room................:LOL:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Very nice ! You're pretty organized, compared to most of us. Make sure you have a good way to document your reloads, I use a spreadsheet that shows every single round I've ever reloaded since I started, but if a handwritten log is better for you, then do it that way, but keep good records of what you reload, and make notes on what your favorite loads are. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,719 Posts
Before your reload a round, take the NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading course.

The reference book that you receive in the class is worth the class fee.

Some clubs teach the class as we do at Sir Walter Gun Club and actually have a reloading laboratory in the class, make some rounds and fire them at the range measuring them with our chronograph. It's experience with the "feel" of the press that you need to get with someone there to help...

The class will also help you understand safety at a better level, as well as many concepts that you sometimes "assume" things about in reloading.

Remember, you don't have "a feel" for 45,000 PSI...

It looks like you've carved out a good quiet corner to reload in un-distracted or disturbed.

The carpeting is a potential issue. It's difficult to clean, especially since you don't want a vacuum cleaner motor spark setting off powder.

I have a concrete floor, an area rug I can shake out outside, and a 2 inch maple top machinists bench for mounting my presses.

This video will show you an example of reloading on a Hornady progressive press:

I use the light to 100% inspect powder level in a case before loading the bullet in place. I also 100% inspect cartridges with a case gauge.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
As usual, good advice from the group. Looks like you are well set up so far. I do not see a powder measure, but I will add that you should never leave powder in one for a long period of time. It can degrade the powder and affect/cloud the reservoir. I have used my set of scale checking weights more than I thought I would. No fan in the room-it can affect the scale. If you plan to load bottleneck rifle cases, do your fingers a favor and buy a motorized trimmer. Way faster and easier than the manual type. have fun.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Before your reload a round, take the NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading course.

The reference book that you receive in the class is worth the class fee.
Funny how most of us learned reloading by ourselves, decades ago, using the bullet maker manuals; no You Tube, no courses, just those manuals and the reloading article in the monthly rags like Shooting Times and Guns and Ammo, all without issues.

Reloading isn't hard, but it does require common sense and paying attention to a few details. My two boys learned to reload starting at 6..............

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you made a good choice with the Lee Classic 4 hole turret. I started reloading back in 1962 using a Lee Loader in the red cardboard box. I'm on my second Lee 4 hole turret now, the first one was the cast aluminum model which is still in good shape but I just like the cast iron one better with it's primer catcher in the tube at the bottom of the ram. You can't change from caliber to caliber on any machine faster than you can with the Lee turret. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Die storage: Go to the big box store and buy a 24" plastic tool box with a tote tray. Take out the tote tray and replace it with apiece of 3/4" plywood. Drill 15/16" or 1" holes about 1-1/2" apart , store your die sets in the tool box. Everything is in one place, you have more wall storage space. Die outside diameter is 7/8" . Drill your holes carefully / slowly and the wood won't splinter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
"The carpeting is a potential issue. It's difficult to clean, especially since you don't want a vacuum cleaner motor spark setting off powder".

Not sure about spilling so much powder as to have a vacuum cleaner set it off. :oops:😂

1 - 20 of 37 Posts