Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a MP 10 Sport. Shoots fine. However, if I try to eject a live round from chamber with charging handle it is WAAY too hard. Have to use 2 hands and pull hard. Shell comes out scratched up. Does this with various 308 or 7.62 rounds. Even does this with a empty brass.

I suspect something weird is going on with bolt extractor. I'm trying to find someone else with a bolt that I could put in mine to see if a different bolt fixes it.

Anyone else heard of this or had this problem. Or have any advice on how I should address it. This is a brand new gun.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Send it back. You may have a burr or something in the chamber. It should not be scratching up the brass.

bob

edit: A pic of the brass could help also. But in any event, call S&W customer ervice, tell them the problem, get a return authorization and send it back for them to look at. Then wait until it comes home and try again.

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
You have a machining burr in the chamber. I look in all my chambers all the time and tubes to makes sure they are clean (I've cleaned them properly) and to inspect them. I have a Gradient Lens Hawkeye Borescope at it's very expensive ( they start out around 800 bucks ) and are very nice to have, but, there is a much less expensive way to look 'inside'. Go get yourself a Harbor Freight digital inspection camera (about 50 bucks) and it will do 90% of what a Hawkeye will do. I use the HF digital inspection camera most of the time unless I want to look inside a small bore (the smallest bore the HF cam will fit in is a 30 caliber tube but it will fit in just about every chamber (yours included), has fantastic resolution, but in LED light and you will be able to see in a second if there are machining marks in the chamber (I suspect there is).

If they are minor (a small burr) and you don't want to send it back, you can use fine lapping compound on a felt bob and polish it out, which is probably what S&W will do anywal.

No matter, get yourself the inspection cam. Even if it won't fit in the tube, the LED light is bright enough and the resolution is good enough that you'll be able to look down the tube almost all the way.

I would not be without an inspection camera / Hawkeye. I use them every time I clean my guns. You'd be amazed how much crud stays on the barrel (and chamber) when you 'think' you have cleaned it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. I am torn about trying to fix the issue myself on my own dime. Ive already got new furniture on it that i dont want to remove..including a trigger...which is a pain to install due to the ambi stuff.

If what you are saying is right, then replacing the bolt carrier group wont help. Right? The thread i posted earlier said a new BCG foxed his armalite that was having same symptoms. I have a buddy who said hed let me see how his BCG did in my rifle...but itll be tuesday before i can get it.

Ill call SW when they open and see what they say. I hope their customer service is good.

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
You don't have to remove anything to access the chamber except the bolt and exchanging another bolt won't help, the burr(s) are in the chamber, could have been an improperly sharpened reamer, not enough coolant, or a number of things but you need to look inside to see how bad it is. Only one way to do that, that I know of. That can happen to any rifle not just a Smith. I bought a Savage 308 that had an issue at the very face of the chamber and it took a PT&G reamer to touch up the issue.

What you have there is a burr on the inside diameter so when you put the rifle in battery and then attempt to extract the casing, the casing catches on the burr and cuts a groove in the brass. Only way to determine if it's inconsequential enough to remove with a felt bob and lapping compound is look at it and there is only one way to do that, a boressope or digital inspection camera.

No other way that I know of other than returning it and waiting for it. Expect that to be 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
I will say that if you modified the firearm in any way, trigger or whatever, S&W will not warrant it, or I don't believe they will. They are very fussy about modifications done to any firearm, but then maybe someone else will chime in on that. I've returned weapons to them for issues but they were not modified in any way and I was completely happy with their repair.

·
Super Moderator
19,230 Posts

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
If the chamber needs polishing a hone can be made w/ a fired case. Knock out the primer, remove the barrel from the lower, push a cleaning rod through the barrel from muzzle end & insert it into the fired case. screw a cleaning jag through the primer pocket to hold it to the rod. put a thin layer of valve grinding compound on the case & pull it into the chamber then rotate (I cheat & use an electric drill). Clean well & try again. I've restored some really badly burred chambers this way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it to range again and found out that when it gets hot after 25 or so rounds it fails to feed at all. Sending it back and the turnaround is expected to be 6 weeks. Very disappointed with Smith and Wesson. I truly thpught id have a quality weapon and have great customer service. But im finding the opposite is true. If i could return it I would. If it comes back working im probably going to take a hit and sell it for whatever i can get for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Took it to range again and found out that when it gets hot after 25 or so rounds it fails to feed at all. Sending it back and the turnaround is expected to be 6 weeks. Very disappointed with Smith and Wesson. I truly thpught id have a quality weapon and have great customer service. But im finding the opposite is true. If i could return it I would. If it comes back working im probably going to take a hit and sell it for whatever i can get for it.
Result?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts