Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On My bench I have a Hornady LNL and an RCBS Rock Chucker, I Use RCBS, Hornady, Pacific & Lee dies. I would use most products, but these suit my needs for price, functionality, availability or whatever at the time. That being said I have a Dillon ammo box...:) what say you, by the way with exception to Lee lifetime warranty on RCBS & Hornady of which I'm yet to use?

thewelshm

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I do what you do on a single stage, buy at flea markets ebay or gun broker mix and match. I have acquired a Dillon square b and an researching it for missing pieces. It is set up for 45 ACP seems to work well looking at setting it up for other caliber seems to be very expensive

·
Registered
black powder shooter
4,287 Posts
strictly an amateur compared to most reloaders around here, but partial to RCBS so i generally start with that..

Off the press I do look for the best prices and consider other brands - I look at ratings very much for anything i consider..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Redding fan here, Press and most dies are Redding. There are random Lee and RCBS dies on the shelf also. All seem to work equally well. JA

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
I'm a single stage (Rockchucker) or turret (Reddding) guy, always have been too I reload everything except rimfires. Die wise it's Redding or RCBS for handguns and Custom machined to chamber dimensions in John Whidden dies for my rifles. All my rifle dies are bushing dies. No fixed chamber dies here. Far as I'm concerned the only thing I like about Dillon is the cheesecake monthly calendars they have. I'd never buy one (press), not interested at all. I'm all about control over every round so they would never work for ne anyway.

Reactions: Sprintcar fan

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a Herter's that I inherited about 15 years ago; I thought I should replace it. It's old and the new got to be better right, so I started looking; the thing is precise and built like a tank, so I will probably never need to replace it. It accepts all dies. So I mostly own Redding and Rcbs. Redding is my favorite, because the dies I believe are still mad in America. Here is a picture; do not mind my mess or the hornady bullet puller. Maybe a Dillon in the future, for handgun cartridges. Seems a little pointless untill primers are more available.
Wood Liquid Gas Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
339 Posts
Dillon, RCBS, Hornady & Lee dies, RCBS and Herters single stage presses. 12 & 20 MEC shot shell presses.

Dillon 550B for all pistol ammo. I have owned and used the 1050 and the 650 but let them go. The 550's simplicity and quick caliber changes are the answer for me.

My first progressive press was an early Lee. I hated it. I scrapped it out. I wasn't for me and I could not in good conscience sell or even give it another shooter. I bought a used (preLNL) progressive Hornady then. It was great. When I got my 550B I wanted to keep the Lee for .41 Mag, the only large pistol primer caliber I was loading back then. Unfortunately there was no room on the bench at that time. I traded it to a commercial reloader for a big stack of new Dillon tool heads, dies and conversion kits.

I have more space now. I would love to have another 550B that I could leave set up for large primers but there is still space in the safe so it's not a priority.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Brand loyalty... is when I purchase something that works I tend to stick with it. If it fails I tend to be less than forgiving. That said, none of the reloading equipment I've purchased over the years has been less than satisfactory, including Dillon, Lee, Lyman and RCBS. Never used anything from Hornady and likely never will just cuz what I have works.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
One press that I've used but have never owned is the Bonanza Co-Ax. I don't know if they're even made anymore. If I was going to prime on a press, I'd prefer the Co-Ax.

For dies, my preference was for Redding, then RCBS, then Lyman, then the rest. Can't speak for or against Hornady; never used them.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
I am lazy and retired, plus I don't believe in inheritance. I give money while I am alive. So that lets me buy stuff. I have bought the following presses in this order: 1974 Rockchucker, powder measure, scale, and RCBS or Lyman dies (2 sets because they were the only ones availble), 1981 Dillon 450 that was upgraded with auto prime, powder & eject to load small primers only (now), 2005 Lee single stage Challenger press and FREE Lee Reloading manual for $20 from MidwayUSA that is only used to load 45-70 ammo (World's Worst Press and Load Manual), 2007 used Dillon 550 used with 2 tool heads to load large primers only (Why did I wait 26 years?).

The Lyman dies were replaced with RCBS, some Lee dies are still in service and I get good results with Lee Carbide Crimp Dies for straight wall handgun cartridges.I have one set of 30-06 Ackley Improved Redding dies.

RCBS1992 vintage melting pot and an assortment of Lyman, Lee, RCBS, and Saeco bullet molds. Those Lyman 4-cavity steel/iron molds are great for quality bullets, but the 6-cavity lee molds are much easier to hang onto and 50% faster.

·
Registered
Certified Gunsmith
22 Posts
I started with a Rock Chucker Supreme, then got a partner and a junior from yard sales. Had them three across so I could put one die in each. It was like a poor mans progressive. I bought a Hornady LNL and have had great customer service from them. Even when I told them it was my fault, they still warrantied the parts. Then mid plandemic I acquired a blue 550b with the upgrades to C. I still haven't used the Dillon, and will most likely sell it. It came with 4 die sets on tool heads, but I already have those calibers in RCBS. 90% of my dies are RCBS and a couple Lee and one Hornady.
The LNL has made thousands of pistol and still running strong.
I use Lee load-all for my shotgun when I do custom loads. Otherwise, I use shelf ammo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts