Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a trend for BP rifles and shotguns to be traded in against Black guns right now. It seems to be accelerating to the point of ridiculous. Tonight, I found 5 very expensive guns in the racks of two stores that I stopped at. And frankly, the buyers have no idea of what they are taking in trade. Now is the time to bargain shop, Amigo's...

I put on hold a Caywood 20 gauge 40" Fowler tonight along with a original Mortimer SXS percussion 12 gauge. I figure the asking prices were less then 1/4 or their combined values. :eek:

As an aside, I had to turn away from 3 Pedersoli's that I would like to have...It is amazing what is coming in on trade.

Hit the racks...your in for some pleasant surprises!

giz

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Wish I could Giz. But I frankly don't know much about them. Wish I did, I wouldn't mind having a BPC deer rifle in the collection, one that I could be loading my own with.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You're right, I've seen more used blackpowder guns on the racks in the past several months than I've ever seen. Nothin' that tickles my fancy, though. I wouldn't mind seeing some second & third generation blackpowder Colts. That would certainly make my day.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Giz, What would you consider a good price on a Traditions .36cal???
Its brand new in the box.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leighton,

First off, let's put the whole Traditions thing to bed. I own two, one in 50 cal and another in .32...Lots' of folks complain about them being cheap guns. The lil' .32 that I have is one of the most accurate muzzleloaders in a production gun ~ that I have ever seen. It will outshoot many modern higher end .22's with fixed sights off-hand. The .36 is not much different.

Expect to pay around $325 for one...at least in my area.

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Gizamo said:
Leighton,

First off, let's put the whole Traditions thing to bed. I own two, one in 50 cal and another in .32...Lots' of folks complain about them being cheap guns. The lil' .32 that I have is one of the most accurate muzzleloaders in a production gun ~ that I have ever seen. It will outshoot many modern higher end .22's with fixed sights off-hand. The .36 is not much different.

Expect to pay around $325 for one...at least in my area.

giz
I never knew enough about them to say one way or the other, and thanks for the info, I just may get her!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say that the sights were the biggest drawback on them. I replaced mine with some used ones from a Thompson Center and never looked back. They tend to like undersized balls. My .32 runs .310 ball and patch all day. You could shoot a match with it without cleaning. Step that up to .315 and you'll be miserable. ;)

They are good guns....

But right now I'd hold out for the great guns that are coming in trade for the Black Rifles everyone is after. I bought a out of the world Caywood today for less then a $800....and laid away an original Mortimer London SXS shotgun at the same money. That's a $4K gun!

Like I said, everyone should be hitting the BP racks hard right now... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Not a large population of traditionals around here, most of what you see are the top end end-lines, of which I have no interest.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I can't find caps anywhere!

None here in Flathead County and I went to Cabella's in Post Falls, ID and not a cap to be found. Not even any rifle caps. :shock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts