Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this in a box of things I've never gone through, and I discovered this holster. Having my phone handy I looked it up to see what it would fit, or really, what would fit in it. I didn't have much luck, but I did run across an old auction where one like it (but cleaned up) brought over $200 bucks!

I don't have any delusions that this is a $200 holster, but I would like to know if anyone here knows more about the style or maker. Is the 45 a model number or a year? Anyone know what it's supposed to hold? It appears to me it's made for a military web belt. I'ts still very pliable and appears to be a very well made and heavy duty rig. I'd appreciate learning something about it I don't know.

Oh, I plan on cleaning it with some saddle soap and then maybe applying some Lexol leather treatment. Sound right? I have no idea how to clean off the green verdigris, any ideas on that too? Many thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey K,

Thinking 1911 for tank/air crew/and other usage?

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,966 Posts
its a 1911 goverment holster.. 45 is the year missing the metal web belt connector at the top

be carefull of the treatments - lot of them will significantly darken it

Boyt 44 1911 Holster Authentic/Original? - CRAIG PICKRALL FIELD ...

i have an el-paso saddlery one i use for the woods - pretty much a boyts copy but cut a bit wider to handle the modern adjustible sighted 1911's - it also has the same web belt connector, i use it with a web belt and load bearing-suspenders (so all the stuff doesnt weigh my pants down :ROFLMAO: )

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine does have the web belt wire. It's barely visible in one of the photos. I zoomed in on it, but apparently didn't get a full photo of it. I'll give a 1911 a try this evening, It' just looked too long for that pistol, but what else could it be huh? Thanks for the info.

Saddle soap won't hurt the leather will it? I know not to use mink oil, neatsfoot and such, as it makes it too soft. It's surprisingly soft already.

I always used a flap holster for my 625 mountain gun when stomping through the woods or riding the atv, and it kept a lot of debris out of the holster. Except that one time I turned it over in a huge bog. That was a cold ride back to camp.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,966 Posts
saddle soap works OK, with a SOFT brush.. once you pointed the belt wire out, i could see - just passed right over it..

there are a couple of home fix-its for the verdigris, never tried them myself..

·
Premium Member
10,968 Posts
The verdigris can be cleaned with a copper cleaner if you do it gently with a "Q" tip. Try and find one that is paste or liquid and use it sparingly. Alternatively, use a polish like SimiChrome. The green is oxidized copper.

These are fine contract M1911a1 holsters. Don't be too anxious to part with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts