Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought my first revolver a new 686 plus 357 in 4 inch. I have not shot it yet but was giving it its first cleaning when I noticed what looks like rust. So when you swing the crane open it was red like rust where the serial number is. I managed to clean most of it off but then noticed it went all around where it rotates. So in the photo you can see where I have cleaned and where I haven't cleaned. Is this rust? Also in the barrel I noticed there was a few spots I couldn't get cleaned.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Doesn't look like rust to me. Maybe some residual from the metal/machining process that should have been cleaned off at the factory. I would ask, via photos, what S&W thinks it is. Who knows what the interior parts of the lock work look like. A new gun should not exhibit this.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Hey T,

Welcome to S&W!

Yes. That is rust. Stainless does rust.

Put some ATF on a patch or rag. Wet it down. Let it soak a bit. Should come right off.

Enjoy that 686!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
It might also be polishing compound... In any case, try a Q-Tip on it with some solvent. If it doesn't come right off, use some well oiled 0000 steel wool around a Q-Tip after oiling the surface. That will remove the softer iron-oxide if it's rust. Don't rub too much or too hard on stainless steel. That area is hidden, so it will be appropriate for a test.

The serial number for these revolvers is not typically in the crane area of the frame, but rather on the bottom of the butt of the frame. It might be under the grips.

Reactions: Steve64

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
Hey T,

Welcome to S&W!

Yes. That is rust. Stainless does rust.

Put some ATF on a patch or rag. Wet it down. Let it soak a bit. Should come right off.

Enjoy that 686!

Later, Mark

That is correct. Machinable stainless can develop surface rust but it's easily removed and won't pit the metal like it does with steel. The amount of rust depends on the grade of stainless.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I recall shopping for a new 617 in a very nice gun shop/ range in Tampa 3 yrs ago. The salesman handed me the display model and I asked him if it was new. He assured me it was so I asked if he could pull one out of stock that was still in the box so I could compare. Well we wound up looking at 2 or 3 and they all looked like they had spent the day at the range and were just given a cursory wiping and put away. I was surprised, amazed and disappointed. I did buy one a little later on from Buds Gun Shop and it arrived in similar appearance. If I put it next to my 1980 M 66 or 5906 I can tell the difference in their appearance. My 617 is also my only HiLiary hole gun and I plan on keeping it that way. I wish S&W would discontinue the hole and go back to making guns to their customers liking again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do plan to call them tomorrow. They don't seem to have an email contact...

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Its rust. STainless Steel will rust a little Get some Ballistol and let is sit in the area then a little steel wool and it will be gone.. keep oiled in that area of the crane .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed the same red color when I cock the hammer back and look inside with a light... So yeah I will find out what they say and report back here.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I can relate to the originator’s situation. My wife and I purchased a Taurus Judge, and a 642LS Lady Smith. Both guns were fine, but the J-Frame Lady Smith developed a very fine brown fuzz on the trigger and the hammer. I wiped it off, rubbed some car wax on them – problem solved, and has been for 1+ year. I ordered a 460V, and when the first one arrived, it was a mess, it was covered with black scratches, and the gun store said they wouldn’t even show it to me. The subsequent gun came in a couple of days later, and was perfect. I purchased a 4” 686, and it was also perfect upon arrival. I don’t have any complaints with any of the guns we’ve purchased, but I do concur with many of the commenters herein that quality control is abit lacking, but that can be said for just about any product made now days, be it guns, or cars, or lawnmowers, or electronics, or . . . . . Regards. Thx.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Stainless steel is just that, stain less, not rust proof. Rust is oxidation & corrosion. Stainless is more easily maintained finish but will rust. You can contact S&W if you want to or just clean & oil it.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I noticed the same red color when I cock the hammer back and look inside with a light... So yeah I will find out what they say and report back here.
If it looks like that inside, I'd return it. something is definitely not right.:eek:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts