Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Bought a new ss 686 and idk if im tripping but i assume there is rust??

5K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Socalmachu 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Stainless steel will rust, but that looks more like maybe residue from a polishing compound or something like that. You could possible contact S&W and send them pictures to see what they think

#7 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum! Keep us up to date on the "discoloration" on the revolver and once the problem is resolved..how about some nice pics of the revolver you describe.:cool:

#9 ·
I have similar experience brand new 629 with 6inch barrel $979 at basspro didnt even see the gun as the one you look at is in a case but they get a different from the back. Complained to smith and sent it back to smith little less the 2 months got the gun back. They test fired it said it functions and said the corrision portion of the gun isn't polished and that its up to par with factory specifications. Mine looks worse then yours even has corrision on extractor rod a little on the tip where its tooled for grip. Very unsatisfied with the support and yes I emailed them pictures of the brand new unfired by me gun before sending it to them and waiting almost 2 months to get it back in the same condition except they fired the gun a couple times.

#12 ·
I just got mine back today I called them they said if I wasn't happy to send the gun back again if I didn't agree with them. Im just going to be an unhappy customer never again, I gave them a chance. I pulled it apart after them telling me sorry and to have a good week end. There is red rust on the frame in and internals also im going to clean it my self but I won't be buying any more new smiths after giving them a chance to repair. Paid a grand and and they choose to send it back to me after having it for over a month in same condition as it was sent to them. Its within factory specifications and an unpolished area of the gun exact words they used said no repair needed. I have pictures too maybe I will upload them if I can.

#15 ·
"Rough" stainless will rust. easiest is to detail strip and polish everything (not the action) with a little Flitz and a buffing wheel on a Dremel. Smooth stainless stays pretty.

#16 ·
Thanks for the cleaning advice. I emailed smith this morning im thinking about sending the gun back to them for repair AGAIN as they didn't put any time into my support ticket to make me happy and at this point I feel at complete loss as a customer. New stainless revolver should come from any company with rust like mine did regardless. After sending it in they should have taken some time to fix the issue not really sure what they are thinking other then "its ok no big deal, gun meets factory specs" as they put in the notes no repair needed. I really hope they fix the issue im not really sure how they are going to do that at this point will try to keep you all updated. I hope the original poster keeps me posted also on his experience and wish him luck.

#26 ·
Hey man a lil update on my experience I had the same thing they sent me back the firearm back saying there is nothing wrong and that these are just unpolished areas and that the firearm meets the specifications.. just sucks man I paid a grand also just b.s

#17 ·
Just something to keep in mind, it's very likely that the gun didn't leave the factory like that originally. It's already been said that rough stainless will rust while polished stainless is less likely to. I live in Florida so the constant humidity takes its toll on all metals. Who knows how long it sat in a gun store before it came to you. The rust could even have begun in transit. I was a hobbyist in knife collecting before getting into guns and even a $1K knife will rust if not protected. I would take the advice of others on here and clean it with flitz or another compound and keep it protected with oil or rust inhibitor and enjoy shooting the gun. It looks like a beauty!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I didn't assume that you were born yesterday, but I feel your expectations may not match today's realities. I've had firearms from all of the main manufacturers (Ruger, S&W, Colt, etc) and I have found these kinds of things happen in all of them. Manufacturers, in order to cut costs, don't spend any time at the end taking extra steps to create perfection like they used to. In order to get that kind of attention to detail you have to go custom. If you wish to try to force S&W to fix what they don't consider to be an issue and be without your firearm for months on end then feel free, we're just trying to give you alternatives. At any rate I wish you luck and hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

#21 · (Edited)
Thank you, I I know my comments can seem a little harsh but I couldn't agree more with you all. Im just not one to except defective items that I worked extremely hard for this is equivalent to two weeks pay and trust me none of the work I do would be accepted if I did it half ass I would have to redo the work to make the end user happy. They need us as a customer more then we need them and we shouldn't accept any thing less. But I do head your advice and sorry for coming off the wrong way.

#24 · (Edited)
Wow that would annoy me enough that I would return it. That's why I also have to see the firearm I am actually getting before I pay up!
No returns on firearms my only outlet is smith and wessons customer service. even if I did see the gun im not sure I would have seen the rust inside the gun or have any reason to expect the gun in this condition.

Smith and wesson needs to step up there game im not only one complaining. Im giving them the opportunity to make it right.

#25 ·
I'm not sending mine back for a second time. I put in a service request but asked them if they would do anything to clean it or where they going to just it back to me the same way with out doing any thing. They replied they recommend cleaning the gun after shooting every time with quality oil. So I guess thats is that. I've been shooting it after work every day seems to function perfectly fine just little disappointing to see some that surface corrision on a brand new gun. Take care guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.