Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a local gun show and looking over the “cheap “ table came across this 20” 94. Looks like mostly age from sitting in a rack. Had it priced at $650. I took a look down the bore and offered him $600 if he would transfer it with my C&R. Done.
Just oiled it up and it’s going out back for a shoot. I have it’s older brother by about 15 years and it’s already become my favorite lever gun. The 32 Win Special cartridge is fairly easy to find and they have some souped up stuff too. Kicks less than a Trapper in 44 mag I use to own and has more oomph.
Kind of a looked over cartridge so gun values are lower.

Fine with me....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Couple more.

Love the hooded gold bead front sight. Nuttin high tech but good for my eyes to see without glasses.

When I think ranch rifle time, this comes to my mind.

Considering what they get for modern rifles..and the difference in construction materials and craftmanship I find it difficult to buy the modern stuff vs. vintage.

If only we could buy "new" 70 year old cars and trucks this nice....and this "cheap"...;)

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Here’s my 70 year old Winchester which is one year younger than me. I got it for Christmas in either 1962 or 63 along with a 1917 Enfield.

Deer was shot first week of past December. It has been decades since I’ve hunted with it.

76884572-2D12-4006-991B-7118B8B4265E.jpeg

Joe A.

·
Banned
132 Posts
Couple more.

Love the hooded gold bead front sight. Nuttin high tech but good for my eyes to see without glasses.

When I think ranch rifle time, this comes to my mind.

Considering what they get for modern rifles..and the difference in construction materials and craftmanship I find it difficult to buy the modern stuff vs. vintage.

If only we could buy "new" 70 year old cars and trucks this nice....and this "cheap"...;)
+1

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very nice find. I would be suspicious of anyone who doesn't like lever guns.
Then we can be friends.

I've got my Father's Win. Model 94 - in .32 Special! He and his father bought it new in 1948 when my father was 16 - the rifle he had been hunting with was so worn out it was unsafe. He took a number of deer with it, and I've taken a few - including my very first, when I was 16!

My father still hasn't let go of the Win Model 92 in .25-20 yet - its serial # shows it was made in 1909... he didn't shoot it, but I'm itching to - have 3 boxes of ammo, dies, and the like.

And my ownare two: first is a Savage '99 in .300 Savage - 1946 make (by the serial #, however the barrel is stamped for Chicopee Falls - which means 1948 or later - probably the receiver was carted from the old factory in Utica to the new one, where it was mated with a Chicopee barrel.

Then there is my newest - a Henry Big Boy Steel Carbine, in .327 Fed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Went to a local gun show and looking over the “cheap “ table came across this 20” 94. Looks like mostly age from sitting in a rack. Had it priced at $650. I took a look down the bore and offered him $600 if he would transfer it with my C&R. Done.
Just oiled it up and it’s going out back for a shoot. I have it’s older brother by about 15 years and it’s already become my favorite lever gun. The 32 Win Special cartridge is fairly easy to find and they have some souped up stuff too. Kicks less than a Trapper in 44 mag I use to own and has more oomph.
Kind of a looked over cartridge so gun values are lower.

Fine with me....:)
.32 Special was always actually easy to get ammo for - if you had the reloading dies.
A bullet mold, and some .30-30 casings are all you would need - a Hornady reloading manual from the 1970s was very specific on that - the ONLY difference dimensionally between the .30-30 and .32 spcl casings is the final neck diameter - so all you do is resize .30-30 casings and check the overall length (and trim if necessary).

Fortunately, Hornady never completely quit making soft-point jacketed 170gr bullets for .32 spcl - even if they did only run a small batch every 2-3 years. And now it is getting popular again - there are even a couple of current-production levers being chambered in it - starting with the Winchester 94 again!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have fallen in love with the lever action rifle,great find congrats!:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts