Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is there not that many bottlenecked revolver cartridges? The only I’ve heard of is 22 Jet and .357 Bain & Davis.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought that a rimmed version of .429 DE would make a cool powerful cartridge or a 45 colt necked down to a .41 caliber bullet

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
They are a super idea until they slam back against the recoil shield and tie up the gun. The Jet round is notorious for this issue. A sharper shoulder helps greatly. Also the most reasonable purpose for the little bullet/big case cartridge is higher velocity. The barrel/cylinder gap and relatively short barrel of a revolver negate any substantial gains in this area.

·
Registered
83 Posts
32-20? 38-40? 44-40?

All great bottleneck cartridges and are super for black powder (they seal the chamber from blowback).

They lost popularity with smokeless powder and the ease of being able to reload straight cases, but they have made a comeback in modern times with Cowboy Action Shooting.

·
Premium Member
13,216 Posts
It's all about where you choose to headspace a cartridge. It's easy to use rimmed cartridges in revolver cylinders, so why design for something more complex?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are a super idea until they slam back against the recoil shield and tie up the gun. The Jet round is notorious for this issue. A sharper shoulder helps greatly. Also the most reasonable purpose for the little bullet/big case cartridge is higher velocity. The barrel/cylinder gap and relatively short barrel of a revolver negate any substantial gains in this area.
How does it jam the cylinder when a cylinder isn’t like a magazine to a semi auto?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cartridge set back that locks up the cylinder is a big issue!
That might be an issue with something like the .22 Jet but I've fired thousands of 44-40 and never had cylinder lockup.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I read an article in a gun magazine probably 30 years ago about bottlenecked cartridges in handguns and it was exactly what some posters above have described. It's apparently not a real good idea at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I read an article in a gun magazine probably 30 years ago about bottlenecked cartridges in handguns and it was exactly what some posters above have described. It's apparently not a real good idea at all.
Like I mentioned above, the WCF cartridges were common for decades from the 1870s until the 1920s or 30s. The entire history of the wild west abounds with them. There's no "problem" with bottleneck cartridges in handguns.

The 44-40 is easily the 2nd most popular chambering in the Colt SAA at least up until the 1950s.

The 357 sig is somewhat popular today. Neither presents any problems in handguns.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Like I mentioned above, the WCF cartridges were common for decades from the 1870s until the 1920s or 30s. The entire history of the wild west abounds with them. There's no "problem" with bottleneck cartridges in handguns.

The 44-40 is easily the 2nd most popular chambering in the Colt SAA at least up until the 1950s.

The 357 sig is somewhat popular today. Neither presents any problems in handguns.
Wait - I thought you were talking about revolvers....bottlenecked cartridges in pistols is another story entirely.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Never had an issue with my .32-20, and they're the opposite of sharp shouldered.

·
Super Moderator
19,839 Posts
If you want a revolver with bottleneck cartridges go find a Magnum Research BFG revolver. They have more than a dozen revolvers that use bottlenecks.
The 30-30 BFR is one of the more interesting models.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have read that the early Colt Single Actions chambered for the 44 WCF had issues with case setback. I do not know what the remedy was, but Colt soon solved the issue.

Joe A.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I get along a-ok with bottle neck cartridges in revolvers...Ever since I discovered how to deal with set back.

One of my favorites...22 Super Jet

Got a idee of building a 256 Winchester...On an N frame for a lit'l hot-rodding

.///

1 - 16 of 16 Posts