Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Shield EZ and 3 P238's, all of which are accurate and fun. I just wanted another gun that didn't cost very much but would give me another one to rotate in on my regular trips to the range. Hubby has a full size RIA in 9mm and it is a smooth, wonderful shooter. All of the on line reviews of the Baby Rock were positive, showing reasonable slide tension and good trigger pull weight of 4 to 5 pounds.

What I had no way of knowing was that RIA redesigned the Baby Rock to be "safe" for stupid, negligent people who toss a 1911 into a pocket without a holster. It's SAFE alright: It's about unusable! But based on all of the reviews, I found one on gunbroker at a decent price and ordered it.

Picked up that new RIA Baby Rock, .380 at my FFL the other day. The old Baby Rocks were great fun guns to shoot. The new ones are the nastiest, evil things possible. What RIA did was change the SA trigger pull from 4 to 5 pounds to 7 to 9 pounds (OR MORE), change to a different and much stiffer recoil spring and also firing pin and spring.

RIA should be totally ashamed of themselves for redesigning a gun specifically for people who are so negligent and stupid that they toss a 1911 in a pocket without a holster. They are very up front about what they did it, and they didn't specifically say it was for stupid and negligent people UNFORTUNATELY, every single review and video on line is of the original model. Only after ordering this one did I stumble on one thread on a 1911 forum which bitterly complained about the new version. Too late!!!!

The gun fits my hands perfectly and aims naturally but I can't move the slide at all, even with the hammer back all the way and that is only if someone who is very strong pulls it back for me. Hubby hates the extra strong recoil spring and 9# trigger also.

After hours of laboriously and thoroughly cleaning off the heavy, dripping "rust preventative" off of every tiny part and carefully lightly lubing each one, hubby had such a difficult time getting it back together that he isn't much interested in shooting it now. He also has a full size RIA 9mm that he had no problem taking apart and putting back together. I can rack the slide on that 9mm full size all steel one "all by myself."

Hubby has a RIA compact .45 on order. If and when it ever comes in this Baby Rock will be traded in as part of the price of the new one. We will take a terrible beating dollar wise, but will be glad to get it gone.

P.S. There are NO PARTS of any kind available anywhere for those Baby Rocks. If there were any, I would order replacement springs and start cutting some loops off of one to see if that would help, but am not going to mess with original parts when there are no replacements.

Registered
Hey Granny,

Dang...

Really stinks to lay out big bucks for a less than satisfactory product. 馃が

Hope you can trade it off..??

Later, Mark

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's disgusting. I'm in process of putting layers of Glow On paint on the tiny front sight, and last night I managed to pull the hammer back and then pull the trigger 3 times. My hand and wrist really hurt, and that is my good hand. No way am I going to take that thing to the range to try to live fire it. Maybe hubby will, at least one time.

With the "improvements" RIA made, it's a cute little 1911 for a big strong man. Period.

Premium Member
I sold the only Rock Island I ever had. It was not what I expected it to be.

If you're ever interested in the Colt Mustang PocketLite .380... look me up... I have one new and unfired.

Registered
Buddy bought a Rock 45 at CMP one year and it went back 3 times for the same issue. He sold it finally,

Reactions: ShooterGranny

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sold the only Rock Island I ever had. It was not what I expected it to be.

If you're ever interested in the Colt Mustang PocketLite .380... look me up... I have one new and unfired.
OH NO - do not tempt me like that, please! I have 3 SIG P238's and one Kimber Raptor Micro in .380. I love the SIG's and they love me.

So far the Kimber hates me but likes my husband. She thinks I've limp wristed her, and it is because the grip panels are too short, front to back. I put 3 layers of plastic shims under each side of the grip panels and need to take her back to the range to see if maybe now she will work for me. They are now FAT and I hope I can grip that child tight enough to make her happy with me!

After the Kimber and now this RIA, I am getting totally "gun-shy" now on buying anything else that I haven't at least racked the slide and pulled the trigger. And none of the gun shops within driving distance ever have a gun I think I might want - not anymore.

I live in TN and you live in NC. That's just far enough away that it would not be convenient to meet half way for me to see if I could dry fire and pull the trigger - before I would pay you and you could send it to my FFL. We can not do more than 2 hours max driving time one way anymore - not if it is a one day, go and return. Do you want to make a trip to TN????
- - - - -

I thought the RIA Baby Rock would be great because, being all steel, it is heavier and the grip is larger. That is true.

Hubby loves his RIA full size 9mm. I love it too. It is so heavy that it absorbs most of the 9mm recoil and doesn't hurt my damaged hands. But because it is so heavy I can't hold it up in shooting position for awfully long.

SIGH.....

Registered
I had a cap gun when I was a kid
WOW! Didn't know they'd re-done the Baby Rock -- I've had one for several years and it's been error free. Measured the trigger pull at the shop when I picked it up, and it was a tad over 4 lbs. Couldn't complain at that. Spring was pretty strong until I'd put a couple hundred rounds through it. Still stiff, but that's not all bad. I already had a cousin of the Baby Rock, a CITADEL 1911A1CS .45 ACP, but was looking for something with a little less weight that could be hidden easily no matter the season when I heard about the Baby Rock. Sorry you've had such a time with it - maybe a trip to a gunsmith could "fix" it ...

Registered
Change the spring in the Kimber. Simple fix or grind a loop off the existing spring.

Reactions: msharley

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Change the spring in the Kimber. Simple fix or grind a loop off the existing spring.
There is nothing wrong with the Kimber. Hubby and "the guys" can shoot it without any problems. The grip is just smaller enough than the grips on my P238's that I couldn't get a firm enough hold and the gun thought I was limp wristing it.

I put 3 layers of (plastic report binder) shims under each grip panel and took it back to the range and actually was able to shoot 2 mags through it - with only 1 stovepipe on the last round of one mag and that was because I very slightly relaxed my grip.

The Kimber is nowhere near as good of a gun as the SIG P238's even though it is quite expensive. It is strikingly pretty though and I'll keep working on shooting it more often, hoping that eventually it will get enough rounds through it to smooth it out and make it more pleasant to shoot. In the meantime it serves as hubby's ankle gun for the very rare occasions when we go someplace where maximum concealment is necessary.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hubby took that Baby Rock to the range and he and two other guys shot it. They all agreed it was YUCK, and double YUCK, so I cleaned it again and hubby took it to our LGS on consignment. That was 6 days ago. Today I got a phone call saying it had sold. Hooray. I priced it to sell and was happy with the percentage of return on my money. I took less of a loss than I thought I would have to do. Mostly I am happy that it did sell.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Armscor makes cheap guns. In their case imitation isn't the sincerest form of flattery. You get what you pay for. I call them Armscam. Buy American.
I totally disagree with your evaluation of Armscor. Hubby has a RIA 1911 in 9mm and it is a truly wonderful gun. OK -- not a $4000 custom made gun, but a very good one in every way that we could possible wish for.

Like all manufacturers, they make simple, cheapest models and most expensive (for them) best made models. I have not read negative reviews of the RIA 1911's, and I belong to several gun owner forums and have done a lot of reading of reviews and watching you tube reviews.

That Baby Rock USED TO BE a really good gun also, but they changed the springs and trigger so it is now all but impossible to shoot. ---- So you could toss it in a pocket and it would be safe. A gun that is all but impossible to shoot is pretty darned safe.

KIMBER, on the other hand, leaves much to be desired although they "sho nuff is purty 'uns."

Registered
Hubby took that Baby Rock to the range and he and two other guys shot it. They all agreed it was YUCK, and double YUCK, so I cleaned it again and hubby took it to our LGS on consignment. That was 6 days ago. Today I got a phone call saying it had sold. Hooray. I priced it to sell and was happy with the percentage of return on my money. I took less of a loss than I thought I would have to do. Mostly I am happy that it did sell.
I have one. It shoots very well. I have had no problems with mine. I bought it used.
[/QUO

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IF you got an older Baby Rock, whether you bought it new or used, you got a nice gun.

They RUINED the new versions by making them "safe to carry in a pocket" with the most horrendous trigger pull ever. Have they never heard of pocket holsters?

I ready so many positive reviews of that gun that I ordered one, NOT KNOWING what they had done to it in the newer versions, because they were no reviews on line that I could find of the newer versions. THAT IS WHY I did this thread. People need to know what they are getting.

Yes I know this post is a repeat of my post #13, but it is what the new Baby Rocks are about. And they are awful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts