Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came into all these revolvers via family. Of course (of course) I had to start tearing them down to clean and inspect :) That after giving the Earth back a lot of lead on the range.

On my 586 (no dash, AABnnnn for the serial number so I am guessing 1980's something) I went full tear down and removed it all, including taking the hand out of the trigger. I know I know, why, whyyyy?!?! Anyway, I did not get the torsion spring set properly when I put it back together (I knew it was not right but went ahead to check anyway) and sure enough the cylinder would not rotate every time. Would not rotate at all when sideways. That meant I got to break it down again and fix it :) Yay (such a nerd, I know). That was the issue. Was able to set that spring properly after thinking through it (used a flat screwdriver whose blade was just under the width of the channel in the trigger to set the spring and pop in the hand) and it is back to its glory.

This lady was holstered for some time judging by the rust areas (small rust, not super bad) and the blueing wear. Man does she fire perfectly. Super sound, mechanically. Not a thing wrong with her. Thinking I may keep her and sell the more pretty ones.

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
I have no doubt that 586 is a good shooter. That spring is a pain in the butt to reinstall. I suppose S&W has a special tool to do it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fought with it for a bit then realized that flat end of the screwdriver was the ticket. It went in place right away once I did that (going low on the arm to clear the hand pin). WIll be my approach from now on should I need to remove the hand (or if it comes out when removing the trigger).

·
Registered
90 Posts
If that is the spring I’m thinking of, Jerry Miculek uses a ballpoint pen in the instruction video for his spring kit.
Or is that the trigger return spring?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,599 Posts
If that is the spring I’m thinking of, Jerry Miculek uses a ballpoint pen in the instruction video for his spring kit.
Or is that the trigger return spring?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No, that's the rebound slide spring or as you term it the trigger return spring. There's a drawing in our FAQ on how the hand spring orients inside the trigger. Kuhnhausen suggests using a small punch to hold the spring arm up then slide the hand pin under the spring.

Guy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right - I used a Phillips screw driver to push in the rebound spring which works fine. The problem with the punch on the hand spring is it can slide off to the side of the spring (over, and over, and over, and...) When I finally went to the flat blade that was the width of the slot then it was "easy".

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
I would have gone to YouTube and carefully watched and followed one of the gunsmiths there to get it back together right the first time.
Any time I run into mechanical issues I can't easily answer, I head over to YouTube and start watching videos on how to get thru the issues.

I used it today to help with questions on properly installing a new starter in my 66 VW Beetle. It went in perfectly the very first time!
I get no joy crawling under a vehicle and working up side down in the dark, in areas too small for a church mouse to crawl into. Same for working on my guns. I've decided to let a qualified gunsmith do all of my gun work. My life may depend on the gun working perfectly every time, and with my age, and memory, it's better to let somebody that knows what they're doing provide the expertise. And it's one less thing for me to worry about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have gone to YouTube and carefully watched and followed one of the gunsmiths there to get it back together right the first time.
Any time I run into mechanical issues I can't easily answer, I head over to YouTube and start watching videos on how to get thru the issues.
Actually in this case I had watched a few videos, one which was nicely detailed on that spring. But in every one of those videos the spring sprung out of the assembly when the hand came off. In mine it did not; in fact in mine the inner loop of the spring appears to be captured by a rod making it impossible for it to come out by itself. Made me wonder if the assembly would self correct when putting the hand back (it did not). But I am right there with you - I watch many videos and read up on things before I tear into them (I do my own auto work, masonry, electrical, carpentry, metal work, plumbing, etc.) In this case I was curious and wanted to see how it would all function after reassembly - now I know. Were that my only defense gun it would have been different. Fortunately I have many to choose from in that regard :) I can use this one as a learning vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts