Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the group might be interested in the bonded ivory grips I ordered from Altamont. (yes, for the Ruger but still)
They are a nice white/yellow tone, with good detail and a nice fit. I only had to file one of the positioning holes on the inner grip to enlarge it a tad.

I am sure "bonded ivory" bears the same relation to actual ivory as Corinthian Leather did to real leather in 70s Chryslers, but I am well pleased with the look and feel of them.

Gives the Vaquero a vintage touch to my eye, and since I ordered it on my departed Mum's birthday (Nov 11th) I added the fluer-de-les in her honour, as she was half Parisian.

One pic shows the original grip next to the replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Very elegant!! Good taste!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
They look great! Classy indeed.:cool:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
They should clean up a whole lot better than real ivory and being that white!! that is a good thing.

They look great! :)

·
Registered
13,474 Posts
Very nice! I think the new grips with the checkering and all really dress up that single action.
I believe bonded Ivory is an epoxy resin that contains ivory & bone dust as well as other natural materials. They work and age much like real ivory. I have heard you can make them look old by soaking them in tea instead of waiting 20 years

·
Registered
111 Posts
very nice - specially the fleur de lis!

i like altamont handgun stocks, and have used their bonded ivory for a few pistolos.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Really nice combo of grips and revolver. Some time back, I bought a set of bonded ivory for my blued Gold cup. I really like the look. They do get dirty when shooting, but I have found that Ballistol cleans the powder film off easily.
Blue Gold cup -002.jpg Blue Gold cup -001.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts