Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a bodyguard 38 special for about a month now, I have put about 400 rounds through it and I seem to get a light primer strike about 1 in 15 rounds most will fire with a second strike. I'm not sure if its the ammo or if the gun is defective. Most of the target ammo I have used has presented this issue including: Remington UMC, Remington wheelgun performance, PPU handgun line, and Geco. I have also shot a few hundred rounds of this ammo through my lever action without a single issue. I have not noticed the issue with higher end +p ammo but I have haven't shot very many rounds. The +p ammo that worked was Remington HTP (10 rounds), sig sauer elite performance (10 rounds), and Speer lawman (15 rounds).

Any insights would be appreciated, I'm new to revolvers.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I would remove the stocks, spray brake/carb cleaner inside the frame , through the hammer opening , around the trigger slot, etc. Spray liberally, she if you get any debris, old lube, etc. Relube with Rem-Oil or similar lube. If that doesn’t help, you may have to remove the side plate. Search YouTube for a video showing the proper procedure. Hank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would remove the stocks, spray brake/carb cleaner inside the frame , through the hammer opening , around the trigger slot, etc. Spray liberally, she if you get any debris, old lube, etc. Relube with Rem-Oil or similar lube. If that doesn’t help, you may have to remove the side plate. Search YouTube for a video showing the proper procedure. Hank.
Thanks for the reply! Do you think its okay to do that with a revolver with an enclosed hammer?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Yes. Just one less spot to get the solvent in. Take the stocks off and you can get the brake cleaner in through the frame opening. I’d let it dry for an hour or so, then lube it with the Rem-oil aerosol spray. Better results can be had by taking off the side plate , both in cleaning and lubrication. Check YouTube for a video. You don’t want to pry on the side plate. And use a good screwdriver that fits the slots. One that has a square cut head, rather than a tapered head. Keeps from damaging the screw heads. Hank

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Unless you bought the revolver new, someone may have replaced the mainspring in order to lighten up the action. A new one is cheap enough and easy to install. 99.9% of the time I have found light primer strikes directly related to weak hammer springs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts