Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a S&W Bodyguard .38 revolver a few days ago, my first revolver, and I really like it except for one thing. The cylinder release. I like the idea of it and the style, but I really don't like the flimsy plastic of the actual part, and mine rattles and flexes and feels really mushy and doesn't always disengage the cylinder lock when I press it. It just feels like a really cheap part with very loose tolerances that rattles around and doesn't really do its job 100% of the time. Is there any way to replace it and does anyone make an after-market part for it, perhaps out of aluminum or something that has tighter tolerances and doesn't rattle around like a piece of junk? I love The Bodyguard revolver itself, and the rest of it feels amazing, but that one part, the plastic cylinder release on top feels like garbage and I would love to replace it with something better if possible. I've taken the sideplate off and lubed up the internals a bit and made sure there wasn't any grease or anything odd inside, and that didn't really solve anything. The recess inside the plastic part of the cylinder release just looks and feels a little too big and roomy for the small metal lever that actually disengages the cylinder lock. So I can move it back and forth without actually disengaging the cylinder lock, and to actually unlock it, I have to press forward with some real effort and sometimes it seems like it's sticking in the forward position. I'm wishing there was an aftermarket part that fit on much more closely and didn't have so much play to it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
22,793 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! You could find a local gunsmith and see if there are any options available to resolve the problem. Hope you find a solution to your liking.:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I don't have that problem with my Bodyguard .38 so I can't offer any advice or recommendation except to let a good gunsmith have a look at it. I hope you can get it solved as it obviously spoils, at least for you, an otherwise very good gun

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. However, I wasn't even aware S&W was using polymer parts on revolvers until your post prompted me to look up some reviews of that particular revolver. Thanks for the heads up and hope you're able to have your problem resolved. Perhaps you should contact S&W and see if they will make it right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts