Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sat. evening, the neighbor called to tell me that there was a bobcat laying under my truck - in the garage. I opened the kitchen door for a look and he was sho' 'nuff there - giving me a go-to-hell look!

I ran for the camera and got this crummy photo of him sauntering away across my neighbor's driveway:

Another snapshot of him with the flash in the neighbor's yard.

This one was a juvenile male - we see them frequently in this suburban/rural neighborhood, but usually at night. During the winter the larger cougars come through and feast on all the house cats put out at night. The authorities deny their presence - even the small ones like this fellow.

Edited with an infrared trailcam photo of the same bobcat. He's irritated because he can't get into the coop where the ducks spend the night.

xtm

·
Registered
600 Posts
Re: Bobcat in the Yard

Xtm, I've noticed they come out after the city mows the fields along the highway. I've seen them just out in the fields catching mice or rabbits during the day. I think they really don't care about people anymore.

·
Registered
11,652 Posts

In Cottonwood Arizona last month, there was a rabid bobcat that wandered into a bar and scratched/bit several patrons. There was video taken and although the wounds and follow-up rabies shots were extremely serious, it was funny to see the guys jumping on the pool table and bar to get the heck out of the way! :mrgreen: BTW, a local police officer shot the cat out in the parking lot and it was confirmed to be rabid.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I actually thought about the rabies thing. It usually shows up a bit later in the year around here. I'm certain that he was just laying on a nice cool concrete slab waiting for one of my dozen or so cottontails to hop by. I'm still staying back when I see him again.

I have an idiot neighbor who sics her dogs on 'em anytime she sees one. Her malemute has enough smarts to stay some distance away, but the pit bull loses the fight every time. He comes back home looking like he stuck his face in a circular saw.

xtm

·
Registered
11,652 Posts

xtimberman said:
I actually thought about the rabies thing. It usually shows up a bit later in the year around here. I'm certain that he was just laying on a nice cool concrete slab waiting for one of my dozen or so cottontails to hop by. I'm still staying back when I see him again.

I have an idiot neighbor who sics her dogs on 'em anytime she sees one. Her malemute has enough smarts to stay some distance away, but the pit bull loses the fight every time. He comes back home looking like he stuck his face in a circular saw.

xtm
Some dogs and certain people never learn! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Those are great shots! I've only seen a handful of bobcat over the years...they are really cool kittys.
Love the shot at the duck pen the best!

Bob

·
Registered
402 Posts
xtm,
Duck pen....more like a bunker ! Does the wire wrapped around the front keep grenades from being thrown inside? lol
You need a sniper and a spotter up on the roof to keep them kitties at bay. You already have the night vision going.
Seriously, looks very secure. My father-in-law lost his flock of pearl guienas to a coyote last month after it dug in under the wire.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M58,

Those are bungee cords stretched around as extra security for the door. Chicken wire is buried to ~1.5' to discourage digging. We have bobcats, coyotes, and foxes to contend with year-round - plus big cats in the late fall and winter months. Unfortunately, urban rules and regs are the order of the day now - I can no longer discharge a Daisy BB gun in my back yard without being subject to arrest and fine! I have to be verrry careful, because I have a couple of neighbors who would really love to see the local PoPo frog-walk me to the patrol car.

That trail-cam has been passed all around the neighborhood. It's snapped pix of all sorts of vermin in-the-act, even a peeping Tom! :D

I'm not sure what kind of guineas wander our neighborhood, but these rarely succumb to Wiley Coyote. This particular variety always seems to have a ring of scouts on duty when feeding and are quick to take to wing when alarmed. Guineafowl are native to Africa and have all sorts of natural predators to contend with on the open savanah, but they don't seem to survive as successfully when confined to an enclosure. The 2 Guinea farmers in the neighborhood both have elevated roosts - out-of-reach of the coyotes. They are noisy cacklers, but I'm glad to have them wander across my yard. In the summer, they eat 2x their body weight in grasshoppers every day!

xtm

·
Registered
11,064 Posts

Blackcloud2 said:
In Cottonwood Arizona last month, there was a rabid bobcat that wandered into a bar and scratched/bit several patrons. There was video taken and although the wounds and follow-up rabies shots were extremely serious, it was funny to see the guys jumping on the pool table and bar to get the heck out of the way! :mrgreen: BTW, a local police officer shot the cat out in the parking lot and it was confirmed to be rabid.
There is a bar in Buckeye {The Alibi} where that pretty much discribes the women on a Saturday night

·
Registered
828 Posts
Damn. All I ever get are deer, doves, and sputzies, with the occasional lepus, of course. A bobcat would be cool.

David

·
Registered
402 Posts
Those trail -cams are great for seeing both 4 legged and 2 legged varmits. Too bad about the no shoot policy. The joys of neighbors and urban growth. I'll bet that they'll be whinning the loudest when their prized pet gets gobbled up. :)
You're right about those guineas, they had been free ranging for over a year without any problems. My father-in-law had just started to cage them up for the night because his garden was starting to sprout out and he didn't want the guineas to tear it up. I spent many a hour watching those birds sweep through my father-in-law's yard, line abreast, chuckling loudly as they ate every bug in their path.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts