Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a model 25-15, one of the "classics" series revolvers for about a year now. It is chambered in .45 long Colt.
I enjoy shooting this gun, and have no complaints about the action or the accuracy.
My issue is with the bluing. When I got it new, right out of the box, I noticed that the bluing on the left side of the barrel, about an inch right in front of the frame was lighter than the rest. As I have shot it, the lighter bluing has increased, now about two inches on the barrel in front of the frame, and now about a half inch into the frame itself, and also on both sides now. It looks like it is just fading away.
I have never shot any loads hotter than factory in this gun. I have never holstered this gun either.

First question: Has anyone else had bluing issues on any of the "Classic" series guns?

Second question: Could this be because the metal of the barrel is weak and getting too hot?

I have quite a few Smiths, and had no bluing problems with any of them, other than normal wear, but this is my first "Classic" series revolver.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey RR,

Nope.

Bluing itself is inexpensive (just controlled rusting).

The "High Luster" or "Deep Blue" bluing of years gone by .........is pricey. Due to the amount of polishing required.

Other than "Custom Shops" (such as Turnbull & others) no one is willing to pay for that type of bluing, any longer.

Your barrel may not have been cleaned real well, prior to going into the tanks.??

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360
1 - 4 of 4 Posts