Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the wooden presentation case for a 27-2 8 3/8" barrel but I'm missing the blue insert that outlines the gun and cleaning kit. Does anyone know if this is remanufactured by anyone or how one could go about finding something like this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Put an ad in the Wanted to Buy section - but don't get your hopes up. The inserts are the thing that fall apart. There are a lot more good wood boxes with bad inserts than there are good inserts with bad boxes.
Best of luck.

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
insert

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on your search.

Those inserts are thin plastic and are coated with blue flocking. With age the inserts fade badly and the flocking gets thin and falls off. This insert came with the gun, 1980 model 29, and was in one piece but rather faded and not very attractive. I looked at several options and found some do-it-yourself flocking kits and found a local frame shop that could do flocking...didn't ask the price, but DIY sounded messy and figured I could find something alse.
Another option, not original equipment if that's impartant to you, but works well to display and protect the gun is foam sheets and an X-acto knife to custom cut pockets for gun and gear. Used this method in many camera cases.

Since I wasn't planning to sell my gun or display it very often, I just cut a piece off of some velvet fabric I sometmes use for photo backgrounds and used it to cover the insert. All I did was lay the fabric over the insert and tuck it under the insert...no glue or any fasteners on the bottom, double sided tape for the lid, works for me.

Original - stock

M 29-2 6in_original.JPG

With velvet and Ken Driskill elk stag grips
M 29-2 6in elk stag stamp2.JPG

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
i have several S&W wood prez cases i picked up without the plastic inserts, have never seen any replacements available..

a guy on the blue forum does the blue re-flocking, pretty good job. I had asked him and he didnt have a source, he uses a 1" flat foam pad and flock's it with blue when a customer doesn't have the original insert,

I did similar - cut some dense soft foam an wife covered it with a blue fabric - little spray contact glue on the foam and back of the material and fit it into the box top and bottom.. worked pretty good.. holds gun well for display.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts