Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to an indoor range today with my friend, his brother and his friend Joe who I had not met before. While Joe was shooting in his lane, his Taurus G2C loaded with Tula 9mm ammo blew up in his hand. Both sides of the gun blew out as well as the baseplate of the magazine. He has cuts on his face below his eyes and on his right hand. He got bandaged up and is OK but it was a scary situation to say the least.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Prayers up for Joe....

Dang! Wonder if that will be a "recall lot" of ammo?

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Ugly situation. I assume he was wearing eye protection. I'm not a fan of either Taurus or Tula, but I never would expect a catastrophic failure like that.

·
Super Moderator
19,773 Posts
This is the very 1st time I've heard of a catastofic failure of the G2C. My shop has sold nearly a thousand of them, and we have never heard a single complaint of the way they shoot. My best guess would be an ammo problem.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A few years ago I was shooting my Ruger SR1911 at the range and a case failed. I was shooting handloads, which were not loaded hot. They were loaded with mixed brass I had accumulated. The main damage done was to the magazine, which was unusable afterwards, and some minor damage to the slide which was easily repaired. I received some minor shrapnel wounds to my face, and would likely have lost and I had I not been wearing I protection.

I don't know what caused the kaboom, except that it apparently was ammo related, and was not related in anyway to overpressure ammo.

Both my Ruger, and the Taurus in this thread seem to be well engineered and well-built guns. The lesson, if there is one, is that it's very important to wear eye protection when shooting, and it is very important to be safe and follow all gone safety rules at all time.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of your input. Joe is retired Navy and worked with firearms and weapons in his military career. He is also suspecting the ammo being the cause of the problem. I'll forward Gregory's post information to Joe. If I hear any updates I'll pass them along.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It almost sounds like a squib round on the trigger pull before the kaboom. I'm betting that the bullet never left the barrel. Did he mention anything like that, where maybe the gun didn't feel like it fired correctly on the next-to-last trigger pull? Any gun would have blown up if that happened.....Either way, I'm glad everybody is okay.

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
Lucky guy mate.

Thewelshm

Reactions: bluecar
1 - 14 of 14 Posts