Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I believe his is m first post as a member of this fine, fine community.
I understand my comments may be ignorant and thus skewed, but opinions have the right to be so in this wonderfully free nation of ours.

Premise: I prefer my recently acquired model 27-9 6.5” Nickel over a Pre-27 7” blued shooter.

Story: My previous experience with a “nicer” revolver was a Colt Trooper 6” that was insanely accurate. shooting it felt good and I thought I had found a keeper. Other interests pushed me to let the Colt go and I held hope to find something better with more “status”.
Later, I found a five screw, pinned and recessed Pre-27 7” blued shooter. Needed new stocks and lot of surface rust work. Once done and pretty I really had my hopes up in having found a keeper. I shot it with 38 spl and 357 mag and ... it never felt just right. These revolvers appeared to be very svelt and that thinness transfered recoil in a very sharp way, the balance wasn’t there for me. Accuracy was ok from the bench. I got a fair cash offer for it and I just sold it.

Present: After a couple of years of gun and pawn shops I came accross a like new, with box and papers, 27-9 6.5” nickel beauty. The lock is not pretty but is tucked behind the wheel latch so I just squint and move on.
Took it out today and oh boy..... 38s felt like 22s. 357s felt great, tamed and evenly distributed, easy to control falls, back for the next shot. Accuracy is fantastic off the bench. Fit and finish are excellent and I feel I found my keeper.

Again, this is just my experience and my humble opinion... lef me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas!

The only issue with the lock is many of us see S&W as having capitulated to the Clintons. Engineering-wsie, it has no effect on function, shooting, hand feel, or anything else. Many of us who have one (and I don't) with the "hillary-hole" simply remove those innards, some even plug the hole - but again, it's more of a statement than a repair (JMVHO).

The important thing is you've found a keeper! And a very desirable-looking one at that! Love nickel, love longer barrels! The M27 was perhaps S&Ws all-time best design. Some will argue the M19, or the M14/15 was... But all things considered, with the N-Frame and the sweet engineering, I think it's the best.

·
Registered
30,172 Posts
Nice looking revolver and I am glad your happy with it. Welcome to the forums. Thanks for sharing the pics, we like those here.:)

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I've owned several of the "new" guns. Let's say the ones with the locks. I've never seen anything wrong with them. Some of them, I liked better than my older guns.

Welcome to the forum...enjoy your new shooter.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome. You have a nice .357. I have the same gun in .44 spl(model 24) and its a fine revolver. I don't like the thin altimont stocks that come on these new N-frame Smiths so I ditched mine in favor of Eagle's "coke bottle" replacements. Go forth and enjoy!

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I like my 66-8 better than my 66-2, but they're both outstanding. The -8 has a longer barrel but actually weighs less, and the trigger is much nicer. But the -2 is polished and shiny, and looks so nice.

·
Premium Member
20,752 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, Juupee69 and Cokeman! I suspect the different feel is in the target stocks. I like the feel of them much better than magnas. Otherwise, the two guns you refer to are essentially the same except for the lock and MIM parts in the -9. I prefer the long action guns but do have a Model 29-10 and 686-6 with the lock that shoot just fine.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
13,716 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

You've made an excellent choice, and I hope that this beautiful S&W revolver does the job for you over the long run.

I have a range of S&W revolvers from one that is over 100 years old to a new 686 I purchased a few years ago.

The new one has the hammer lock mechanism. The rest do not.

The new one also has a minor quality control issue (the barrel was not installed exactly level, but over-rotated a bit). This kind of issue tends to show up on later revolvers more than the earlier ones where quality control was stricter.

Apart from the conceptual objection to the lock mechanism (both acquiescence to political correctness and a cheaper alternative than providing a separate lock where they are required), the one objection I have to the addition of the lock is that it unnecessarily adds a complication to the revolver's lockwork, and is a potential point of failure.

This kind of mechanical failure related to unnecessary complexity it tolerable in many things. A flaw in your car's engine means you probably will stop running, and have to pull off the road. Possibly unsafe, but you can deal with it in the normal course of driving unless you're vulnerable at the moment.

With a self defense handgun, it's a bit different. If the mechanism is accidentally left locked when you're carrying the gun, or it mechanically fails when you urgently need it, you're probably going to die or be seriously injured.

It's kind of like adding a keyed of interlock to the mechanism of a fire extinguisher to prevent accidentally triggering it. If you need a key and can't disengage it in front of a house fire in progress, you're probably going to lose the house.

For that reason, I don't carry my revolver that has a lock. Same thing with the later Springfield M1911a1 pistols with a locking recoil mechanism and Colt M1911a1 model 80 Pistols. They are reserved for range work.

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
welcome01to the forum from SE Indiana. Very nice..all that matters is what works for you. I've never owned a Smith&Wesson with a lock so I have no opinion
one way or the other. I agree with Ratzo..what works for you is all that matters. BYW this is the best gun site on the net..lots of friendly folks with tons of
knowledge and willing to share. Stick around and have some fun.jvfmn;o

Dick

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
Sweet 27 sir.

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida.

Regards,

FlaRon

Sky Marina Sunset Tree Horizon

·
Super Moderator
35,619 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

That is a beautiful Smith and should be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Greetings mate and congrats on your 27-2

Thewelshm

1 - 20 of 37 Posts