Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serial number 17243, shipped in May 1959, about a month after this barrel length was announced. It is now wearing factory ivory grips. Per John Dougan's latest book and addendum, Ruger shipped approximately 750 Blackhawk 44 Magnums with this barrel length and sold approximately 609 pairs of ivory grips.

Bill

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
An outstanding example, Bill. :ymapplause:
I'm curious as to something, and welcome your opinion.
Your beautiful photo indicates to me that your BKH47 has a really nice finish...more highly-polished than was generally done in that period.
My BKH47 has what appears to be an identical 'more-highly-polished' finish.
Not 'wet-black' like a 60's SB, but nicer than the usual BKH.
It's a September, 1960, gun in the low 26000 range.
The folks in Ruger's service department maintain that the gun's never been back for a refinish.
Your thoughts are welcome!
Don

PS...Those factory ivories are stunning.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don...the finish is nice, but about like most of my other guns. It's most likely the Renaissance Wax that gives the gun its "glow" ;) . Rugers, like S&Ws, showing variations in the degree of polish given particular guns before being blued. You most likely have one that was given that extra touch. I had a Blackhawk .357, serial number 59, it is listed in Dougan's new book as having a bright blue finish. It was nice, but not as nice as a S&W "44 Magnum" (finish wise, that is).

Bill

G

·
0 Posts
Bill, simply outstanding...another great example of the beauty of the early Flattops...

As to the Ren Wax, do you think it will give my 10-1 a glow? :mrgreen:

Giz

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bill,

that BKH47 is the nicest one I have ever seen. It is an amazing Picture and is now saved off as one of my desktops

thanks

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts