Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's post photos of our favorite Black Powder Revolvers - and reasons why they're favorites.

Colt 1851 Navy .36 cal

I consider this slim beauty with the long, elegant octagonal barrel to be the loveliest of all the Colt revolvers - even prettier than the S.A.A. It doesn't require much powder or lead to shoot, either. Hickock and other gunfighters preferred to carry their '51s - even when cartridge revolvers became widely available.

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
I'm going to have to say it would be my Ruger Old Army .45
Has to be the most accurate BP revolver I've shot and capable of shooting hotter loads with conical bullets. Stainless steel is a bit easier to do a cleanup on and I like the modern clockworks within. Finding a holster was tough, but I managed to dig up a El Paso rig for it.

giz

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
I have had four cap and ball revolvers and the first one is the most accurate of the bunch, an Italian job made by Pietta. I only have it's 36 caliber brother left, it has not seen near the range time {it does not "do" anything for me}

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The most fun I've ever had with C&B revolvers was when woods wandering and searching for targets of opportunity for plinking or game-getting. Unless you make paper cartridges, there's no time spent sitting at home and reloading ahead of time - just load 'em and shoot 'em.

I despise shooting these revolvers at a place where Range Officers call timed relays. Just about the time I get everything capped up and ready to shoot, he calls a cease-fire and I have to perform the somewhat unsafe chore of picking off all the caps under his withering glare!

All types of C&B revolvers interest me. LeMat recently posted a photo of his revolver of the same name on another thread, and that got me thinking about all of these interesting six-shooters. Hope he finds this thread and posts a pic here. I have some questions for him about that fascinating revolver.

xtm

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
xtimberman said:
LeMat recently posted a photo of his revolver of the same name on another thread, and that got me thinking about all of these interesting six-shooters. Hope he finds this thread and posts a pic here. I have some questions for him about that fascinating revolver.

xtm
Here you go my friend:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh yes!

There were several configurations. Is this a Navy?

I read somewhere that relatively few of the original LeMat owners would load shot in the center smoothbore barrel because of the problems with the overshot card coming loose and the shot dribbling out - and that most would load that barrel with a snug patched ball which would stay in place while shooting the revolving cylinders. A ball that large would really have some punch! Have you ever tried that?

What kind of holster rig do you have for it?

xtm

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
This is actually the Army model. The only difference between the Army and Navy is the barrel selector on the hammer. The selector area on the Navy is rather fragile and I had one which had broken, twice. The Army style is a bit more solid.

I have read the same thing concerning the shot loads. I have also read that one would want to shoot it first so as not to deal with the load diribbling out the muzzle. I have never fired the shot bbl, but it does make sense. I suppose one could pack it pretty tight, but I can't help but wonder just how tight it would have to be. I have also read that ignition can be a bit spotty when the hammer falls on the center cap. I wonder if that has something to do with leverage - I just don't know the reason for that.

The ball would need to be about a .65 caliber. I've got a .69 caliber flintlock that I've played with and it was real fun. I haven't gotten around to ordering any balls for the LeMat. I think I'd rather shoot balls out of it than shot just for the ease of loading (and reloading if everything has a tendency of falling out).

I have a very basic leather holster that a local fella made for me. I've always wanted to get a repro holster, but have just never gotten around to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts