Smith And Wesson Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Good work. In post 79, what is the story on the little rolling block on the bottom of the photo?

Kevin
Thanks Kevin!

The little #4 Rolling Block is part of a custom built three barrel set I purchased from a friend. Engraving and gold inlays were the work of Dale Woody. The gun also has a fitted hard case for the three barrels, which each have their own forearm, and a full length scope. The calibers are .22 Short, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum. The Magnum I felt was really pushing the little #4 action to it's limits, so I've never fired that barrel. Each barrel is also a different contour. One full octagon, one part octagon, and one round.
Here's a picture of the set in it's case:

I recently sold the gun to a good friend who has lusted for it for some time. I'm not a big fan of the #4 actions, as they're not good for anything but .22 RF, and he just collects and doesn't shoot. So it's better at his place than mine, where I shoot everything I collect.

Here's the finished #1 Sporting Rifle. I had to peen all the buggered screw heads, as the slots looked like someone used an old worn out screwdriver in every one of them! Once I peened the metal back in place; I recut the slots, blued the screws, and then burnished the heads to keep them looking correct for the age of the rest the Rolling Block.
I rubbed the finish with rottenstone today, and after it cures out for about 3 weeks, I'll give it a coat of paste wax, and it will be completely done. Wanted an unrestored look to the gun, as the rest the metal looked pretty good. I'm pleased with it now, but looking forward to seeing a bit more sheen once the wax is on and buffed.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Wow,

Once again, thank you so much for posting up these pictures, I could look at these style rifles all day. That 3 barrel set is just amazing. Always a treat to see what you have in store for us next.

Please keep them coming.

Slim

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Got a replacement for the little engraved #4 I sold to a friend. Just one barrel this time, but I'm tickled to get this one!

This little Remington #4 was engraved by Robert Evans about 40 years ago! One of the finest engravers in the world today, and this is one of his earliest works, done on his personal rifle. Very excited to own anything he did, and even more so a signed early piece!
This is chambered in .22LR.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
My latest Ballard acquisition. A #2 Hunter, but with only one standard feature. It's marked .32 Long on the barrel. Special order 28" half octagon barrel, pistol grip nickeled frame, loop lever, deluxe wood with cheekpiece, deluxe checkering, small Swiss buttplate, midrange tang sight, and windage globe front sight.
Forearm has had a non standard horn tip added, and otherwise it's all numbers matching throughout.

And a standard #2 Hunter for comparison.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
marlinguy, those are some beautiful Single-Shots! My late Father collected Single-Shot rifles. In the safe there is a Zischang Ballard, a Berg Ballard and a Schoyen. The Schoyen was purchased from Axel Peterson in Denver. He worked there with Schoyen. It has a 32-40 and a .22 LR rifle barrel. He was also really into Winchester Highwalls. He has a Perry Highwall with a false muzzle for muzzle loading. I think it's a .33 caliber.
You should be a member of the American Single Shot Rifle Association. I'm a Life member.:cool:
Jim

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
marlinguy, you have some real nice BP rifles. My Uncle Chase collected single shot Remingtons. He had a #1 1/2 in 45-70 that was a sweet shooter. The one I liked the most was a Winchester Low Wall? in 40-65. I helped Chase load for the 40/65 and I got to shoot it, Too! Great Fun!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
marlinguy, those are some beautiful Single-Shots! My late Father collected Single-Shot rifles. In the safe there is a Zischang Ballard, a Berg Ballard and a Schoyen. The Schoyen was purchased from Axel Peterson in Denver. He worked there with Schoyen. It has a 32-40 and a .22 LR rifle barrel. He was also really into Winchester Highwalls. He has a Perry Highwall with a false muzzle for muzzle loading. I think it's a .33 caliber.
You should be a member of the American Single Shot Rifle Association. I'm a Life member.:cool:
Jim
Yes, I've been an ASSRA member in the past, but let it lapse. AW Peterson worked with Schoyen, and eventually bought the shop from Schoyen's widow after his death. Schoyen had just quit his business when he died suddenly. Sounds like you have some wonderful old singleshots, by some famous gunsmiths!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I have a Marlin #2. Originally cut for the 32 Long with the firing pin that could be positioned to use either 32 RF or 32 CF cartridges. I believe these are all cast actions but still fun to shoot with appropriate cartridges.

Kevin
The #2 Ballard is a favorite of mine! I started out with a #2 as my first Ballard, and I think the first few after it were also #2 Ballards.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
marlinguy, you have some real nice BP rifles. My Uncle Chase collected single shot Remingtons. He had a #1 1/2 in 45-70 that was a sweet shooter. The one I liked the most was a Winchester Low Wall? in 40-65. I helped Chase load for the 40/65 and I got to shoot it, Too! Great Fun!
I have a #1 1/2 in .40-63 Everlasting, and it's one of my favorites too! I like the octagon barrels, but I think the full heavy round barrel of the #1 1/2 is a pretty nice look also!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Recently picked up another Ballard rifle from a friend's estate. This is my first non=Marlin Ballard, as it's a modern clone built by the late Ballard Rifle Co. in Cody, Wy. It is patterned after the old Geo. C. Schoyen custom Ballard built in Denver, Co. and a very nice copy of what Schoyen built.
This one is done in .22LR, and with an extra heavy barrel, ball and spur lever with filler, Schoyen buttplate, extra grade wood and finish, beautifully checkered, ebony forearm insert, double set triggers, MVA soule tang sight with Hadley disc, Baldwin globe front sight, with changeable inserts, Schoyen style palm rest, and scope blocks for a target scope. It also came with a Paul Jones 40 gr. bullet mold for a serious shooter who wanted to load his own .22RF ammo.

Haven't taken it out to shoot yet, as weather is rainy, and storms. But hope for a break soon!

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hey MG,

That is a "Drop Dead Gorgeous" .22!

(now busy, cleaning the drool off my keyboard) LOL

Later, Mark

81 - 100 of 100 Posts