Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday while cleaning and trying to do some maintenance on my black powder rifle I accidentally snapped off 1/2 of the screw head of the cleanout plug trying to get it out so I could clean the breach, and flash hole. I'm really not sure how important having the screw out to clean the breach. I can't get a drill bit on it to take the rest of the screwhead off, and then bore out the rest of the screw. I know that the new screw will be larger than what's already there, so that won't bother me at all.

I really don't think that I could get the angle correct to bore out the existing screw without messing up the barrel. And I don't have the capability to re-thread it correctly. It's an Investarms Black Powder rifle, that I got for practically nothing.

Do I need to find a gunsmith to get this fixed, or can I just leave it alone?

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Probably not a problem. Don't know if I'd try boring it out.
But if it irks you enough, try this: with the barrel secured in a vise put a drop of penetrating oil on the screw and let it sit. Then, with the nipple off, apply heat to the bolster area and take a small tipped nail seating punch or perhaps a finish nail to the upper edge of the slot and see if you can gently tap the screw loose, counterclockwise.
TBH, I've never used those small cleaning port screws on my percussion rifles. I just remove the nipple. My flint rifle has a removable stainless flash hole screw but it is now so tightly set, only herculean efforts will remove it. I leave it be.

John

Reactions: msharley

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't get a small enough ez-out. The screw is probably only 1/8-3/16" in diameter. The screwhead is barely 5/32", and with half of the screw tip snapped off I just can't get a bite on it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
An eze-out that small won't work very well if that screw is so tightly bound in the hole that part of it broke off rather than coming out. Even if you were able to drill into that tiny screw and get an equally tiny eze-out in there...you'll probably snap off the eze-out.
If this was some kind of high dollar item, a machine shop could help you. Most likely just drill the whole thing out, re-thread the hole and start over with a (slightly) larger screw.
For an Investarms rifle you got nothing in...Forget about it. I'm been shooting a T/C caplock for 45 years that NEVER had the "cleanout" screw removed.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Heat it with a propane torch (around the screw Gregory) and take a properly sized flat blade screwdriver (that fits what's left pretty snugly) and apply some left hand finger torque while tapping on the head of the screwdriver, it will come out. Gotta get it hot and have to tap on the head of the screwdriver. Grip the barrel in a vise with soft jaws or a rag wrapped around it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts