Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,693 Posts
We had one get in our garbage can a couple years ago. I watched him carry the bag down my driveway. They trapped that one out but there has been one around again this year

·
Super Moderator
32,540 Posts
Great looking bear, we don't have them in these parts, so always fun to see the wildlife!

·
Registered
14,045 Posts
They had a vote here a few years ago and they banned hunting bears and cougars with hounds, since then the populations of both have exploded.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They had a vote here a few years ago and they banned hunting bears and cougars with hounds, since then the populations of both have exploded.
They expect the bear population to double in CT in the next 10years. They're bold around here and have attacked livestock and pets. The DEP is considering a controlled hunt to curb the population like they do in New Jersey. A big bear one summer night was standing at my glass kitchen slider looking in when my dog woke me. When I walk the dog at night I usually carry the 357mag just in case. They've always been easy to scare off but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In NH we have Coyotes in our back yard, but no Black Bears. Meanwhile in Naples, Florida we have a big Black Bear living in our neighborhood. He wanders around and gets into garbage cans, but doesn't bother people.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
They have been spotted in Kentucky.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, they are very nice! Do you live near the forest? It's good to have your own garden, I think it's the best place to have breakfast and relax. We also have a small garden, however, there is no park or forest near us, so we have a low probability of meeting a bear in our garden. But I really like your photos, thank you for sharing! By the way, we recently made a fountain from our pond, I think that bears like water and they would like it. If you are interested, I can tell you that our fountain works thanks to a solar water pump, more information is available here Best Solar Pond Pumps: Top 9 in 2020 (Reviews and Buying guide). As I said, bears are unlikely to be our guests, but small animals sometimes come to our pond, but I wasn't able to take a photo of them.

·
Registered
793 Posts
There is absolutely nothing "nice" about bears in your yard! When they become acclimatized to humans, which happens easily, they can be extremely dangerous. Bears are omnivores. They can and will attack your pets and also will attack you! If you've ever seen their claws (not to mention their teeth) you would not want even one of them anywhere except deep in the forest!

My two oldest step sons used to have a small zoo and they had black bears. I know whereof I speak.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, they are very nice! Do you live near the forest?
It's heavily wooded here so a family of foxes again this year in the backyard as well as coyotes, turkeys, red tail hawks, Great Horned owls, occasional bears and other assorted creatures. It keeps my dog on her toes constantly looking out the back door. She scared one off the porch one hot summer night that left tracks up to our sliding glass door. Granny has a valid point about them being potentially dangerous. You can't out run, out swim or out climb them them. It's pretty amazing how agile and fast they are for a bulky looking animal. My biggest concern is one getting into the house which has happened to some folks. I really don't want to harm one but walking the dog at night I carry a 357 in case one got aggressive. Every one so far has run off when I make some noise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He dropped by this morning and dropped his calling card on the front lawn. Holy crap. Emptied the bird feeder and knocked over garbage can on the porch.. He's a big boy and just licks the feeder empty without taking it down. Glad I closed the garage door last night.

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
He dropped by this morning and dropped his calling card on the front lawn. Holy crap. Emptied the bird feeder and knocked over garbage can on the porch.. He's a big boy and just licks the feeder empty without taking it down. Glad I closed the garage door last night.
You are setting yourself and your neighbors up for a tragedy if you keep feeding that wild and dangerous animal. Our police department is adamant about telling people to not have anything at all out where bears can get to it, and that includes bird feeders and garbage cans! People think that if they keep dog food or bird seed on the porch or deck in a plastic tub with a lid that it will be safe. It is NOT!

If you or anyone has a screened patio door and leaves it open with only the screen for "protection" you WILL have a bear in your house. They have even been known to break through wood doors. Seriously!

The birds can fend for themselves. You, not so much if a bear attacks you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We haven't had anything in the can on porch in months. He just remembered when we did and was checking. The bird feeder he emptied was taken down this am. No screen doors on our porch. Screens are for misquitoes. These bears scavenge around all the houses in our area. Thanks for the well meant warning but we know it wasn't Yogi Bear and Boo Boo that came to visit.;)

·
Registered
14,045 Posts
I saw a car door that was folded in half by a black bear that was trying to get inside at some food. It got it's claws into the top seam where the door closes and proceeded to bend the door in half.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts