Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yep, now when I go "Bare Huntin' " , I just make sure n' take my old huntin' partner Frank along......
I don't run as fast as I used to........
But I can still run faster than old Frank.......
When reading this I was thinking he -the OP- was setting up a joke...when the bear came running after him...he yells to God to turn the bear into a Christain bear...a second later the bear falls to his knees and bows his head down and says Lord, bless this food I am about to eat...

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
In any case, if you don't own a .44 Mag.....if you've got a .357 Mag.....that'll have to do! Even if you carry a .38 Spl., carry the most potent ammo that you have, when in the woods with Black Bears around. With Black Bears, the noise of the shot might scare him away. If you have Grizzly and Brown Bears around, there's no excuse not to carry a .44 or .45.....at least!!!! ;)Bob

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Two weeks in the boonies humping 100 lb. rucks? Huh01

Not my mama's baby boy... oja;n

My idea of camping is an air conditioned Winabego with a color TV and cooler full of cold brews. jvfmn;o

I am with you there. When I REALLY rough it room service closes at 10 p.m.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Outback Backpacking .jpg

This is me in the Aussie outback, This time it was only 65 pound pack, it was hot there, lots of bugs, snakes and big lizards. Some times you have to carry water at 8 pounds a gallon. This trip I had no gun, only a big Buck knife. Come on guys try it, its fun. You can sit on your Winnebego when you're old.
I go solo a lot because no one want to go with me to do this kinda' fun. Yeah its hard.

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
Mehutch, What do you think we are? A BUNCH OF YOUNG BUCKS....LIKE YOURSELF! Most of us are old, and would like to camp in a Winnebago.....if we could afford one. :( Personnally, my days of camping are .....spending time in a rural area (like Vermont) and sleeping at a nice motel. We travel by Toyota Carolla (since gas is so high), rather than my Ranger pick-up, which I use locally for exploring the 'outback' in my neck o' the woods, hunting some, fishing some. That's the life of an old retired guy! :D Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Oh Bob K, Moondawg and 1 old 0311 this November I'll be 60, no Winnebego, no retirement and I love to stay home. Now days my bush treks are with my dog. My son is going to University of Alaska, Fairbanks in 12 days to study Wildlife Biology. He is now the big backpacker and carries my .44 Mag, bear spray and all my dreams, God I do love him.
It was my thing to do when I was younger. I would do the same again, I enjoyed my time in the bush.

Father  & Son Small 2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
31,872 Posts
I just don't get the camping thing. What, is the attraction?
Different strokes for different folks! Hey, some like disco. ;)

For me it is either camping, or you got the Winnebago/RV in which case why not just get a hotel room with an in house restaurant and drive to where you enjoy the outdoors and then drive back to the hotel?

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
You've got THAT right, Wendy! We used to love camping at state campgrounds in Vermont. Moving on, and carousing around the entire state, almost every day. Since we set up in the late afternoon, and broke camp the next morning, we got to stay at almost all of VT's Campgrounds, over 20 years. As we got older......it became too much work!

Nowadays, we travel up by day, then find a nice motel, eat at a good restuarant, and enjoy a luxurious stay. I did some backpacking and primitive camping when I was younger. But, age, and a beat-up body.....life has taken it's toll on me. Now, I can afford it.....and I hate staying home! ;) Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Bob K, Wendy and others, I understand. My body is not up to the roughn' it any more. But I am glad I did it when I was younger. I was fortunate to have traveled the world as a photojournalist and trek in some interesting places. Most of the time it was rough and difficult. But the camp fire at night made up for it all. It is not for everyone, like hotel hoppin' is not for everyone too.
Laying on the ground staring up at the night sky until ya fall asleep is a wonderous thing, just you and God. I love it.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Oh Bob K, Moondawg and 1 old 0311 this November I'll be 60, no Winnebego, no retirement and I love to stay home. Now days my bush treks are with my dog. My son is going to University of Alaska, Fairbanks in 12 days to study Wildlife Biology. He is now the big backpacker and carries my .44 Mag, bear spray and all my dreams, God I do love him.
It was my thing to do when I was younger. I would do the same again, I enjoyed my time in the bush.

View attachment 8015

Good to see it is a sport/passion/joy you can share together.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts