Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a can of this a while ago.
I noticed it has a warning about using it on some plastics.
Was cleaning my Shield the other day and passed on using it on the plastic frame. I was going to spray out the frame parts with it.

Have you used this on a plastic gun frame?

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
I use GS only as a pressure rinse off after cleaning metal parts with Hoppe's or other cleaning solvents. I have a can that shows "synthetic safe" though I don't use it on polymer frames as you're asking about.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I picked up a can of this a while ago.
I noticed it has a warning about using it on some plastics.
Was cleaning my Shield the other day and passed on using it on the plastic frame. I was going to spray out the frame parts with it.

Have you used this on a plastic gun frame?
View attachment 483012
Thats the "old" kind. It is for metal only, the newer all purpose formula that Phil posted is OK for polymer.

Yes, I have used a LOT of both kinds, plus RED Brak Kl;een.

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Non chlorinated brake cleaner for me. It's way cheaper at a discount auto parts place and is basically the same stuff.

Reactions: guido4198

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Been using it for years on my Glock pistols with no problem at all . Polymer is not plastic

·
Super Moderator
19,967 Posts
After 16 years in the plastics industry, I guarantee that polymer is plastic. It's just another word for it.
A Polymer is generally produced by combining a base (Plastic, petroleum derived component). with a catalyst for hardening/setting to shape. Epoxy is a type of polymer.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
What's odd is the can says, "synthetic safe." That's so broad as to be meaningless. If it's safe on plastic, just say so.

·
Premium Member
18,329 Posts
I've used red Brakleen on my shield .40. For most pistols I remove laser guards or grips before using a spray.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts