Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been an incredible year for Partridge up my way. I've never shot so many or had such meaty birds. Seems like Maine had a good bird season from all I talked to. Got another few weeks before the season winds down. Then I'll gear up for some serious Coyote hunting. I want to really buckle down and get serious about improving my odds this year. Even have tried to talk a certain Registered Maine Guide into improving my ratio... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Giz,

I agree that this was a fantastic year for partridge. If my shooting skills were up to par I'd a had a record year myself. ;) I must admit that I am surprised by the numbers of birds because I thought the wet June and July would have hurt the young ones. I guess the rains came just late enough.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forester,

I wonder if it is because I was so hard on the local SongDog population last year. I about cleaned them out. The turkeys and the partridge are doing fine, and I've seen more deer sign this year then last. I intend to sharpen my skills on the Coyotes this year and extend my range. Want to see how others are getting the job done in other areas.

When you think about it, it makes some sense. I believe there is a overabundance of mast this year...good for all game. But cutting the predator population back is key. I can remember only seeing one fox int he past two or three years. They are natural enemies of Coyotes and the Coyotes seek them out to kill them.

Perhaps it's time to institute some good bounties on these kritters. Especially as that wouldn't be very PC... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Giz, people here are talking about how the coyotes are impacting the deer herd as well. Others say they are the problem with the partridge. I think it does make sense. Maybe I need to take that up this winter. I've gt some 120 grain ballistic tips loaded up for the 6.5 Swede. That should be good medicine.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
REVORG and I had a pretty good shoot this year up west of Moosehead.

Miss Katie Dog and Donny's Caleb did their part to help out with the retrieving chores...

But as far as Birds and Coydogs, I have to say that I wonder about the correlation. A pal of mine traps heavily in the same area we shot Partridge and he took 20 odd dogs out of the same area we shot alot of birds.... I think that Hawks or the lack thereof have more of an influence on Grouse populations.... Still, I don't think it's a bad idea to blast as many of the Yodel Pups as we can....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think Wiley E. needs a bounty put back on as well, but with the price of a good coyote pelt who needs a bounty? Anyone really serious and time wealthy could easily make several Ks in a single winter season at these prices, plinking, skinning, and tanning coyote pelts.
With the increasing aggression we are seeing in the species...coyotes attempting to haul toddlers and 5 year olds off right out of their back yards out west, the recent fatal attack on a 19 year old in Nova Scotia...are we seeing a new behavior evolve, or are we seeing what our ancestors knew so well about wolves and coyotes? It doesn't really matter what the answer is. These animals need their fear of man restored to the level it was a century ago. We could easily cut their numbers down by half and still have too many. But like all species I would never advocate all of them be killed off.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Geoff40 said:
Anyone really serious and time wealthy could easily make several Ks in a single winter season at these prices, plinking, skinning, and tanning coyote pelts.
Geoff, as a trapper I have to respectfully disagree. The prices on coyote pelts has not been increasing. In fact, given the global economy fur prices as a whole are way down. Many coyote pelts sent to auction last winter and spring did not sell at all and I don't expect this fall's harvest to be much different. Even if a trapper is lucky and can get $25.00 per hide, given the fact that most trappers have to travel, take time from work and pay $2.70/gallon for gas it just doesn't make one much money.
http://www.nafa.ca/auction/archive/NAFA_2009-02-23_WF.pdf

Where Maine REALLY screwed up was by playing patsy with the animal rights crowd and caving in to their lawsuit threat over the snaring of coyotes. Foot traps must be checked daily and that cost money...and time. Snares were effective and could be left for days as they are considered killer style traps. I know many trappers, like myself, that simply are not setting any steel this fall because it isn't worth it. If I do set any steel it will likely be under ice for beaver.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Best year for birds? I'd say 2006. They were a fine accompaniment to hot-spicy foods, or with fresh fruit and cheesecake for dessert. They should be served slightly chilled to bring the bird into balance and add a bit more complexity but not so cold as to mask the delicate aromatics. I speak here of the Portrillo Mountain Quail - 2006 vintage. Their soft, colorful plumage does not do the nose or flavors any justice. The nose is rich with rose petals, strawberry and mild undertones of earth. The flavor is strawberry with hints of tart cherry.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QC,

Your just so whacked, on so many different levels.... :mrgreen:

giz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts