1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AD04269A-340B-4C21-BED9-120588903F92.jpeg
476B2011-6CAD-4C80-B634-313E63E7AC4B.jpeg
AD04269A-340B-4C21-BED9-120588903F92.jpeg

A friend inherited this. It had apparently been stored in one of those foam-lined pistol boxes. Just a shame. Trying to clean it up a little. Thought I’d take the stocks off and soak it in ATF for a couple of days. What do you experts think is the best way to go? Hank

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Take off the grips. Soak it for a few days. Then use well oiled "0000" steel or bronze wool on a well oiled surface to slowly and gently remove the active corrosion (red rust).

This will not remove finish unless you rub too hard or too long. Use a flat tool to rub on flat surfaces to avoid rounding edges.

You will be left with pitting, but you will stabilize the surface and stop future corrosion.

Looks like an original M1911 (not a M1911a1). Nice.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hmm. Wonder how water got in there. Usually foam lined boxes are pretty safe.
Agree with the ATF+bronze wool treatment.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hey Hank,

Use Chor Boy (all copper) along with ATF. A good soaking will help.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hey Hank,

That is a 1911. Not an A-1.

We would like to see some "in progress" pics? Purdy Pleez? :D

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
Another vote for Ballistol... but I've also used BP Blaster and Kroil... which is basically a modified "Ed's Red" formula.

They key is patience and let the juice do it's thing.

This M&P revolver was made in 1922, and I wish that I had taken "before" pics of it before I cleaned it up. I took off the grips, put it in a tray and marinated it in Kroil for a week, then went at it with a copper penny and bronze wool, I was very surprised at the results.

The gun had been stored in a leather holster, there was rust on the cylinder, along the barrel, trigger guard... basically every where it was in contact with the leather, it looked like a mess. The age worn look (patina) I ended up with works for me, it would look fake if re-blued.

P9230001.JPG

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help! I know it’s a 1911, stamped “ United States Property”, like mine ( actually my sons’). Should be a good shooter, but paper will tell the story! I’ll post some progress pictures! Hank

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Soak in Ballistol then lightly scrub with bronze wool followed by Autosol polish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts