1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mine's the first on the list as well, but it had a few hiccups at first.
I've replaced nearly all the parts in it, but that's the main reason I bought it. I've always wanted a 1911 to tinker on, and I really enjoy this one.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Mine is not on the list, but my Springfield Range Officer makes me look like a real shooter.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
My only 1911 is a Browning .22 :lol:

But the little kids really like it.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The quality for the money may be there on the standard type 1911's, but several don't get my money because of the too small sights and sometimes crappy triggers. I need all of the help I can get.
Enjoy my Kimber Eclipse, Gold cups and Sig STX a lot.

·
Premium Member
10,222 Posts
I fear that these "buy me" lists are mostly marketing and somewhat light on analysis.

While they listed some good ones, the didn't discuss the plus and minus issues involved with each.

In particular, while they are well made and perform well over their usage lifetimes, the Springfield mentioned comes with a two piece barrel system that basically welds / adheres the rear chamber area of the barrel to the rifled part. I have one, no problems but some don't like this expedient cost reduction approach.

I had a Rock Island "Tactical" that I bought new, and disliked so much that it's one of the few firearms I have disposed of (through a dealer trade years ago). It's ambi safety was poorly made, poorly designed and cost $100 to have fixed under warranty because the Nevada service center was so far from civilization that Fedex charges extra to go there.

One of my go-to M1911 pistols, the Ruger SR1911, was not on the list. I teach with this one and find it to be excellent quality for the money.

So... such lists are fine, but there is nothing like actually shooting the pistol at a range to help you understand what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Premium Member
10,222 Posts
Somehow I think it would involve his voiced character from the Shrek movies...

eddiemurphy.jpg

Go "tactical" Eddie, just go "tactical"...

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
I don't own a 1911, but the RIA 1911 works pretty good......but the quality can not match a Sig, Colt, S&W, Ruger, and some other quality 1911's. If you want something nice, I would choose something other than a RIA. Just my thoughts!!! I like quality guns! Bob

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Mine made #7. Now that I think of it, it's still sitting pretty on a shelf in the safe new, unfired and going on 5 years old.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Shame shame bluecar although I've been guilty of similar atrocities. About the rock islands.... I've shot a few 1911s here and there. I bought a coonan 357 mag cause it was kind of the one gun I've always wanted and I just really love it. I got a 10mm mid size Rock island 2011 tactical w full rail in a good trade. I freaking loved that gun and probably shot it more in a couple months than any other gun. It was heavy which I didn't mind. It was very accurate and a good looker. The finish was crappy but the gun was tight, reliable and well fit. I sold it to my brother in law for a good price just because I didn't want to add another caliber. I'd love to have the same gun in 45-45super. After shooting the 1911s for a while, I literally thought there was something wrong when I pulled out a striker fired gun. Difference in trigger is amazing. That coonan is the closest thing to a laser beam in a handgun. It's my favorite gun to shoot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts