Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cleaned up my 28 after my last range trip and as a last stop I wiped it down in every surface nook and cranny with some Lucas CLP.

Then I put it in a padded gun run. Seems to me that it might not be the best way to store it. I have had other blued guns but not other really nice blued guns and truth is ... I worked in a couple of museums and have handled parts of museums collections and .. I never would have packed anything metal like that and wouldnt have allowed anyone on my staff to do so and never received from a lending museum metal packed like that.

Having said that .. its not a museum piece but a gun that I intend to shot every now and again until judgment day. So .... Shouldnt I want a little air around it instead of it living in the smushed fabric and padding and foam between range visits. I guess the good think is that even though i wipe the oil off to some degree the fabric is becoming impregnated anyway. I have the original box put away but should I consider oiled paper of plastic box ...

Open to any thoughts ..

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I use padded gun bags for all my guns. Light coat of oil and away they go . Some, that I don't shoot frequently get wrapped in VCI paper and into the bag.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm ... I found these .. interesting.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
My guns reside in the safe with just a wooden peg thru the trigger guard so the lean upwards. Also they don't get much more than a silicone cloth wipe down. Never had a rust problem. The only time they get placed in a case is when I go to the range.

·
Premium Member
12,733 Posts
I finish cleaning with a spray of RemOil, wipe it down and then store it in a silicone impregnated gun sock. I have some commercial ones, and started making my own a few years ago. They are custom fit to the individual firearm. That then goes into a padded gun rug. These bag socks repel moisture, and can help a firearm survive a fire that heats but does not breech the safe.

I keep a powered dehumidifier stick in my gun safes. So far not a bit of problem.

In the past, I have had a gun stored inside a padded zipper case gun rug start to oxidize after about 10 years.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
397 Posts
Silicone oil works great for shot term and long term storage.
My guns reside in the safe with just a wooden peg thru the trigger guard so the lean upwards. Also they don't get much more than a silicone cloth wipe down. Never had a rust problem. The only time they get placed in a case is when I go to the range.

·
Registered
19,992 Posts
Before mine go back on the plastic-coated wire rack in the safe, they get a wipe down and then get placed in a silicone sock; helps keep rust away and prevent little safe dings.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Silicone socks for me. I've even used some loose fitting cotton socks that have absorbed oil from gun surfaces that work just as well. You can buy the gun socks on-line from multiple outlets. I no longer store my guns in zippered sleeves (rugs), I only use them for transport purposes.

·
Premium Member
11,950 Posts
I take mine out once a year and clean them and wipe them down with Hoppes #9 silicone cloth, wrapped them back up in VCI paper and back in the gun box.These two have been together since 1947 when S&W shipped them.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Silicone socks for mine, and then a gun rug left open on the end. I like the additional padding of the rug to use all the nooks and crannies in the safe. I keep two Remington rechargeable dehumidifiers in the safe as well..At least twice a year they all get oiled and the ones I shoot more often than that

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Before I store mine I re-oil with Lucas oil products on the parts you don't see and Mothers Mag Polish on the parts you do see.
I will keep them in pistol rugs and the hard cases they came in and add a few desicant packs in every case.
All mine look new.

·
Registered
19,992 Posts
Rugs hold moisture like foam gun cases, silicone socks do not........

Reactions: TennSharpshooter

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Rugs hold moisture like foam gun cases, silicone socks do not........
That is why adding desicant packs prevents moisture causing rust.

·
Registered
19,992 Posts
Not always the best method, NOT introducing the possibility is the best way........

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Not always the best method, NOT introducing the possibility is the best way........
Works for me , results are in the pictures, my firearms are 40 plus years old and were bought new.
OP asked for best method and this is mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts