Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best thing you guys have ever found to remove leading from your barrels and cylinders?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
David Lapell said:
What is the best thing you guys have ever found to remove leading from your barrels and cylinders?
One of those Chore Boy brand coarse bronze wool pads that you find in the grocery store. Cut off a small piece and wrap it around a worn-out bronze brush. Use enough for a snug fit in the bore and cylinder and it'll scrub the leading right out. One bronze pad will last a long time.

Don't use it on any blued exterior or it'll eventually begin to remove the finish.

xtm

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Tell XTM or Giz you have a lead mine and one of them will be there shortly

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Guys,

Years ago I found Lead-Wipe by RIG at a gun show for Stainless Steel. It is the best I have found for lead burn on cyl faces. It cleans and polishes it up real nice.

It's a cloth impregnated with cleaner, you just cut a small piece and wipe the burn off, repeat if needed. One cloth lasts a long time. It looks great.

I just got a pack of a different brand at Gander, Lead Remover by Birchwood/Casey. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks the same.

Don't use it on Blue finish.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have and use the Lewis lead remover and bronze wool. I use the fine bronze wool that Brownell's sells, I also have an electronic cleaner but is slow!

The best in my opinion is the bronze wool.

Len

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I use a 50/50 mix of Shooter's Choice lead remover and Kroil. in extreme cases cut a 1/2" sq. piece of Lewis lead remover and scrub the barrel with it. It will remove Bluing from the Cylinder-Face though. I use a brass parts brush and the mix for that.

·
Super Moderator
19,462 Posts
I just got a Birchwood Casey Lead removal cloth. $4.89 at the sporting goods shop here.

Wipe the lead right off the face of my cylinders and around the backstrap next to the forcing come. Shiny and clear almost no effort.
The best part is that it smells like lanolin

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used the Outers lead out which cleans a barrel electronically. Works very well, with little effort. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I attack lead the same way I do copper fouling. I use a 50-50 mix of Kroil and Shooter's Choice Lead-remover. Soak the bore with a wet patch, wait ten, hit it with a soaked Bronze brush about six times, wait ten, then push another soaked patch thru followed by dry patches. Usually comes out on the wet patch in small strands.use birchwood Casey leadaway clothe on the cylinder if one of my SS guns, a bronze scrubbrush and the mix if blued. Both work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts