Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased one. Without buying and trying a bunch of ammo, please tell me in your experience which ammos function the best. Just for plinking mostly, but could do some local competitions in the future, Thanks in advance !

Attachments

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Even though Your rifle is mass produced no 2 are exactly alike when it comes to feeding it. I would recommend that you buy several small boxes of ammo of different make and wt. solid and hollow point. find out which one your rifle really loves and then buy alot of it. Bear in mind that your new gun will go thru a "break in" phase and will not settle down right away. Don't rush the process. Several hundred rounds latter should tell you what you require. Be sure to read the owners manual and become familiar with the disassembly and reassembly before you shoot your rifle. A good cleaning is the first step before firing. Good luck and good
shooting.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
What he ^^^^ said. Only real way to tell is to try various ammo. Would not recommend standard velocity stuff though. Might not work the action properly. With mine, I found that you need to load the mag under some tension as opposed to pulling the spring down and just dropping the rounds in. Fun gun to shoot and surprisingly accurate.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
I have had a 15-22 since 2012. I dont recall having a problem with any ammo. My favorites are the Federal copper plated 36gr bullets in a red bulk pack because they burn really clean, but I have used Federal Auto Match, CCI, Remington Golden bullets, Winchester Super X and more

·
Super Moderator
34,476 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Nice looking rifle, but best way in my experience is just try out a variety of brands and stick with what works best since with rimfire the differences in how they may function can vary a bit.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Contrary to the preceding advice.......just buy Federal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts