Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New gun owner. Made mistake of watching too many YouTube and online reviews. Either its the best and never had an issue after running 200 million rounds or its crap with issues every other round. Done with YouTube reviews and google **** searches. So, what is the best ammo? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
match Grade ammo 68 grain I probably do you really good out at 200 yards. I shoot Tula at 498 a box at 25 yards every one of them in the size of a 6 inch circle Steel casing not brass depends on what you want to shoot remember you can shoot 5.56 out of it also the Great Guns

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Don't know if there is a "Best Ammo" for the Sport in general, as each gun will have its likes and dislikes as far as accuracy. For regular range plinking I use whatever 55 FMJ I can get for a good price, and it all has worked so far

·
Registered
198 Posts
match Grade ammo 68 grain I probably do you really good out at 200 yards. I shoot Tula at 498 a box at 25 yards every one of them in the size of a 6 inch circle Steel casing not brass depends on what you want to shoot remember you can shoot 5.56 out of it also the Great Guns

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
+1

·
Registered
91 Posts
New gun owner. Made mistake of watching too many YouTube and online reviews. Either its the best and never had an issue after running 200 million rounds or its crap with issues every other round. Done with YouTube reviews and google **** searches. So, what is the best ammo? Thanks.
It should run about any .223/5.56 you want to put through it.

It all depends on what you are using it for and how accurate you want it to be especially at longer ranges.

For close range target practice and plinking you might as well use the cheap stuff. For long range accuracy you will have to try a few different types to see what the gun likes.

Their are many choices for self defense ammo and usually comes down to a personal decision after doing some research on the matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to ar15 sport
Purchased American Eagle 223 ammo
Getting many jams
Not ejecting spent brass
Remington runs fine as well as steel
Bad batch of ammo?
Or gun problem?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Clean the rifle and try again. Not just a quickie but a complete clean.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Already done first 20 round ran fine
Then started jambing
This is new gun
Cleaned again no change
You're probably running the BCG dry. Common thing for many new owners of AR15's.

As for ammo? Henna ammo. Henna ammo you can get your hands on. It has doubled in the last few months and no end in sight. Supplies are low. The mag supply dried up over night due to the California mag reprieve. It will recover, at much higher prices.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
New to guns? Forget the what's the best ammo and find some bulk stuff quick. Time isn't on your side if you bought this for self defense, and civil unrest. Gucci ammo isn't what you need. Bulk ammo and mags probably needs to be your #1 priority. This situation we are in is pretty serious. I was buying Wolf Gold 55grain (brass case not steel) I was able to put hits on a sheet of notebook paper with it without optics at 225yds. I am not a marksman by any means. A2 front sight, and Magpul flip up in the rear. I was paying $279 shipped last year for a 1000rd case. Last night I bought a case for $601 shipped. When it comes back into stock it will be more.

Reactions: Sgtthump

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
New to ar15 sport
Purchased American Eagle 223 ammo
Getting many jams
Not ejecting spent brass
Remington runs fine as well as steel
Bad batch of ammo?
Or gun problem?
Fed 55gr AE 223 performance in 16in barrels is weak. My velocity tests come in at 2700-2800fps. Compared to Fed 55gr M193 (5.56) at 3100fps. If your rifle isn't operating optimally it makes sense that cycling problems show up with AE 223. I haven't used Rem 55gr 223 but if you look for velocity tests on the Net you'll find that it also runs a bit faster in a 16in barrel than AE.

Best ammo? I won't pretend to say what it best for others, but for practice I use Fed M193. It's cheap (used to be cheap a while ago) and reliable. For self defense I have IMI 5.56 77gr.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Fed 55gr AE 223 performance in 16in barrels is weak. My velocity tests come in at 2700-2800fps. Compared to Fed 55gr M193 (5.56) at 3100fps. If your rifle isn't operating optimally it makes sense that cycling problems show up with AE 223. I haven't used Rem 55gr 223 but if you look for velocity tests on the Net you'll find that it also runs a bit faster in a 16in barrel than AE.
I bought AE back in the beginning of my AR journey. Tula stinks like ammonia when shot. AE also. So in my way of thinking it was crap. If you watch Small Arms Solutions he mentioned the other night the gas ports on commercial AR15's are opened up to compensate for the wimpy Russian stuff. So many are over gassed from the factory. I am still thinking it's a dry BCG. I don't use whiz bang big money lube. I was in Florida once and pulled my bcg out of the rig I had. Pulled out my artist paint brush an "painted" it with Rotella semi synthetic 10W-30. My preferred lube is Motorkote shaken well before lubing to get the additives back into suspension.

When my brother was at the FHP academy they cleaned and lubed with "Ed's Red." I clean with whatever gun solvent I grab off the top of the fridge.

I met a local transplant. He owned a refinery near Chicago. He refined the Lucas gun lube for Lucas. He laughed and said, "can you believe how much they charge for that stuff?!"

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
It's difficult to diagnose over the Net, but what the poster describes leads me to believe it's a gas issue, particularly when he describes AE223 not properly cycling. Easiest places to inspect are to ensure the gas rings are properly misaligned and the gas key isn't loose.

True, most manufactures sell over gassed ARs. I use an SLR adjustable gas block (not S&W rifle).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It's difficult to diagnose over the Net, but what the poster describes leads me to believe it's a gas issue, particularly when he describes AE223 not properly cycling. Easiest places to inspect are to ensure the gas rings are properly misaligned and the gas key isn't loose.

True, most manufactures sell over gassed ARs. I use an SLR adjustable gas block (not S&W rifle).
Gas ring alignment is a possibility. I have way too many AR's to even think about a gas block. In reality if the hole is the right size then you aren't going to increase flow over the hole in the barrel. Adjustment is for less recoil, and trying to keep some of the gas out of your face/nose with a suppressor. Only thing I have with and adjustable gas block is my PSA Gen3 upper. I have no idea what it is set on. So far 6 different types of ammo including Wolf Mil-Classic without a hiccup.

If AE is the only thing he has shot? Oil the ever loving snot out of it and let-er rip!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts