Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ammo for concealed carry S&W 637-2 +p. I am new to this gun and have not shot it yet. Would like to practice with it and e able to feel comfortable. I got some 38 Special 158 grain ammo and read how bad the recoil is than hear just the opposite from experienced shooters. I want to practice with what I will carry in self defense. Can anyone give advice?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I carry a decidedly weak round in my 637, but it’s one I practice with and know I can control. 148 gr hollow-base wadcutters. A heavy leather jacket might stop it, but otherwise it will definitely hurt, especially at sel defense distances of 25 ft or closer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I will have to try different ones and see what works for me.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
I always use a heavy load.....the recoil doesn't bother me. My Defensive Load is .38 Spl.125 gr. JHP+P Winchester PD. But hiking in the woods, I usually carry 158 Gr. LSWC handloads, that are pretty potent. I also use both of these for practice.

I also have a 9m. Ruger that is loaded heavy with 147 Gr. JHP Winchester PD. It will do the job...anywhere that I go! kfjdrfiriigoodjob01 Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who replied. The 637 seems to be the go to gun for a lot of folks conseal carry. I can't wait to go to the range with it.

·
Registered
12,708 Posts
With the grips you have I don't think recoil would be excessive with most of the cheaper 130gr bulk packs of Remington or Winchester. I noticed the difference going from a boot grip to something a bit bigger. It helps spread the recoil over a bigger part of your hand

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have the performance center wood grips and using 158 grain FMJ. Maybe that was not a good ammo choice, we shall see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts