Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took belated delivery of one of my Christmas presents to myself -- a .38/44 Heavy Duty with standard five-inch barrel. The gun was shipped in 1934. Lots of honest wear to the finish, and some speckles on the side plate. The wear is all holster and carry wear, with blue either thin or completely missing at leather contact points and on the backstrap. I imagine a hand rested on that grip a lot of times when it was worn on a belt.

This will be my HD shooter. I have a postwar transitional HD that I can shoot more accurately than most of my other guns, but it is in such good condition that I hate to take it to the range. I hope the gun I just got will shoot as accurately without giving me range anxiety about damage to the finish.

Internals are solid. Bore and chambers are bright and shiny. Timing and lock-up are fine. There is no end shake and no push-off problem. The gun came with Franzite grips, which are interesting in themselves but not the same as wood. I'll find some appropriate stocks to put on the gun.

I foresee a range day in the not too distant future. If I could do it this afternoon, I would.

I just love .38/44s. I now have two HDs and three ODs (two prewar models and one pre-23).

David Wilson

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Re: Belated Christmas Present -- .38/44 Heay Duty

A real classy classic, the stocks really look great. I hope it shoots as good as it looks - if so, it'll be a very merry belated Christmas.

Hank

·
Registered
10,918 Posts

Great looking shooter, you did well photograhing it.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

David,
That's a honey!
Congratulations, and thanks to you another fine piece of history goes back to work.
Don
;)

·
Registered
747 Posts

Very cool, I love them old shooter's, I have two a 4 and 5 inch, the 4 inch is a tack driver.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

I have had many from 1934 up through 1950's and they can be some great shooters and part of history! I only have on right now that is a post war from the mid 50's. It's been refinished so many times there is no real value other than to me.

They are great shooters, enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Good catch! HDs are a lot of fun. My transition-era HD (shipped in '47) is one of those guns that is an absolute hoot to shoot.

Enjoy it -- and give us a range report.

Bill

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Range Report on Heavy Duty

As requested: Like other .38/44s I have shot, this one pretty much hits where the sights say it will. Between its first appearance in this thread two weeks ago and its range day, this gun picked up some age-appropriate service stocks.

Not a tight group for 10 yards and a two-hand hold, but the scatter shows a center not far from where it is supposed to be. Now I need to work on getting the holes closer to one another!

Great fun. I shoot better with my N-frame .38s than I do with the K-38 or Model of 1905 Target.

David Wilson

·
Registered
619 Posts
Congrats! It's great to see those being used and it should be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
94 Posts
David, that's a great looking old heavy/duty ............. I love the old guns that were actually used and show good honest wear.

Thanks for sharing the pics and story about your Christmas gift.

Don

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thanks for the update!

In my experience, those arms shoot "pretty much where they're supposed to" but they ain't target arms.

But they are great old arms, and if you just hold 'em and listen close, really close, I think they have stories...really good stories...to tell!

Good shooting, and enjoy the heck out of a really neat vintage arm!

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts