Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anybody here that has an old beater that they love to shoot? This is one of mine. It's a model 48 in 22 magnum.
It has certainly seen better days, but it still shoots straight.
DSCF0066.jpg

DSCF0070.jpg

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Here are a couple of mine:
The beater 19 that most have seen numerous times. It's an old LEO turn-in. Been bounced off the pavement and got flung out into the previous owners yard during the Joplin tornado, but it still is a great shooter.
P1010177.JPG
Next is a 3" model 37. Not exactly a beater, but a long ways from mint. Shoot great with my 148gr wadcutters.
Resized_20190107_175658_001.jpeg
Last is a model 88 Winchester in .308. It's had an eventful life over the last 50+ years, but still puts the pill where you point it.
Resized_20190921_145930.jpeg

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
20190611_191755.jpg This one beat enough? Model 317 I bought w/ money my crew gave me when I retired (hoping I'd leave if they paid me). It's been carried thousands of hard miles, fed me, shot a sneaky rattlesnake from under my foot & is currently napping in my go bag waiting for our next trip. It looks pretty rough but still shoots like a laser.

·
Super Moderator
11,415 Posts
I sold the last couple of Smith and Wesson beaters that I had in inventory. One was a beat up the model 36 and the other was a well used model 49. I replace them with a beautiful 3 inch model 36 and a model 37 in great shape. The closest I would call beaters is a Beretta 22 pistol and my old Enfield jungle carbine clone.

There are a few others that have holes to wear and minor scratches and such that others might call beaters but I prefer to call well loved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I get the impression from the above examples that any gun less than about 90% mint qualifies as a beater, which doesn't surprise me much, as antique guns aren't often discussed on this forum. Normal wear doesn't make a "beater" in my opinion--it takes deliberate abuse or neglect. Handguns are seldom subjected to the same hard use & abuse as long guns, so true beaters don't show up nearly as often.

Calling that Win. 88 a beater is really a stretch--list it on Gun Broker & you'll find out how many folks would like to become the new owner.

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This really isn't a "beater" it's just aged well to look like one. I bought this one in this condition on 7/19/2014. I paid $200 for it. It's excellent mechanical condition, and with age the trigger has improved to be simply amazing,
It was produc
ed sometime in 1959, and is a "no dash" model 48. In that era many S&W's has bluing issues similar to this one, where the bluing wore thin and aged this way.
To me, pristine guns aren't much fun at the range, and they usually spend way too much time in the safe, so a "Beater" is fine by me.

·
Registered
27,110 Posts
The closest beaters I have would be my 64-8(LE turn in), my 17-4 and 360. All great shooters.. mostly finish issues...just a bit rough.;)

20180802_182431-1.jpg

20180428_134141-1.jpeg

20171102_184137-1.jpg

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Beaters,,,,, love um.
In fact for almost every revolver I find important to have/collect/hoard I have a ghost beater twin I am ready to sacrifice to the ravages of solid use.
My guns kind of rank at 3 levels.
#1,Prize pumpkins, never get shot , seldom see the light of day. These are declining in numbers as that is starting to feel pointless and I'm getting old .
#2,Very nice shooters, These will sometimes go to the range , get handled and cleaned carefully and put away. Nice guns but also are getting the eye for thinning out.
#3,Then ,O Yeah , the beaters. Ready to sweat on and carry all day in a holster. Ready to lend to an amigo if needed. Mostly stainless that can be well used and rubbed back to a decent finish. Or blue often totaling less than 50% .Mostly awfull to use factory grips are traded for something that functions much better. Some the changes go deeper that that. Often modified in a way that make a purest whimper. O well, tools to be used as they were designed to be used before they became the commodity they are today.
Here's a couple .22's and .357's that have "earned " the beater title .

My model 51

and model 34

My model 66's

model 28's

Collectability ,,, zilch . Fun in the sun value ,,,,,, priceless.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
I generally try to avoid beaters, but then there's this guy
fDrXqL.jpg

Holster wear, but fine mechanically. I'm presently having the cokes refitted and will post same. ;)

Hence the N frame holster thread.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
For a long gun, it's my 1949 Marlin 336RC "waffle top" .30-30 carbine that was given to me by a friend. I used it in local Cowboy Action Shooting matches when a .30-30 rifle was allowed until the handgun cartridge only SASS rifle rule was adopted.

1949 Waffle top 336RC.JPG

I've posted this one a few times... a M&P model of 1905, 1st change... lettered as having shipping to San Francisco on 31 July 1906, 3 months after the 1906 earthquake.

For being a 114 year old gun, it still holds it's own in the bullseye ring, I've owned it for 13 years and I know that it shoots better than what I can do now with my 67 year old eyes, and the tiny rear fixed sight picture.

Old Ugly.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts
Mine started life has a 5" barreled, blued, Lend Lease which shipped in Dec 1941. Someone converted it to a .38 special and put a 4" barrel on it and chromed the gun. It didn't like the .38 specials as shooting them would lock up the cylinder and when I shot .38SW the barrel would shave lead off of the round. I found a 5" Victory barrel and had it chromed. Now it is once again a .38SW with a 5" barrel. Love shooting with it.

gif hosting

Shoots pretty good.

[url=https://postimg.cc/kDCL491Z]

[/URL]

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
Well , I guess that I can't join you guys in talking about a 'beater'. Two of my old guns have seen a lot of use. The M-67 I bought in ' like new condition'......I don't know if it was ever shot. But, it was shot when I took it to the range to check it out!!!! Since then, I have put a large amount of .38 Spl.+P WWB 125 Gr. JHP thru it. After 30 years I brought it to the S&W Factory, to be checked out, and have some repairs. They rebuilt the entire 'internals' AND refinished it, to boot.....all for the price of a $75 repair!!!! SWEET DEAL!!!!

I also shot my Nickle M-36 Police trade-in ($200), a bunch, with the same ammo, practicing SD shooting several times a week. It's still holding up real good.....but I have retired the 36 and 67 to the safe. I've got to use my M-66-1 sometime, so I will start shooting the .38 Spl.+P ammo, plus a few Mags...once in a while. (As S&W reccomends.) kfjdrfiriigoodidea I'll continue shooting the M-10-7 2".....it's holding up just fine.

Now, I've got the Ruger LC9s to replace the 36 as my 'carry gun'. It's a blast to shoot! I'm really glad I finally got it! It's a really compact, rugged gun....typical Ruger! kfjdrfirii Bob

1 - 20 of 41 Posts