Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum and new to ARs! I apologize in advance for any ignorant questions I might ask!

I'm searching for an available AR-15 and have come up with a couple of options that I liked, the Bravo Company (BCM) RECCE-14 KMR-A 5.56mm NATO, and the S&W M&P 15 VTAC II 5.56mm. From what I can tell, they are pretty comparable and comparable priced, and both available. I saw that the M&P model is no longer manufactured, but that doesn't mean it's not a good gun. Figured this would be the best place to ask if it's a good choice or not, and if it's as fully compatible with other AR-15 parts as other weapons might be.

Thank you,

Chuck

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Hello and welcome. I appreciate that you want the beefier stock and the long shroud fore end. What I don't get is why you would want the 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded extension as opposed to a 16" barrel? In my experience Mil-Spec ain't minute-of-deer rifle to begin with. With the exception of the extension my advice is buy one. You have a budget, desire and availability. With a looming election they are not going to get cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waidmann, thanks for the response. I believe I gave the wrong gun information, what I wound up ordering was the "BCM Recce KMR-A 16" Barrel, 5.56 NATO, Dark Bronze, 30 Rounds (Optic Not Included)". I think I really wanted the M&P, but they were out by the time I got back to the ordering screen. The reviews on this one are good, hopefully it will be a good choice. With COVID madness on the loose, ARs are getting as scarce as good steaks...

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
19,292 Posts
BCM build some pretty good rifles.
No matter which way you go all AR-15 parts will be interchangeable. If those were my choices I'd buy the BCM.

Have you looked at Stag, or Rock River Arms rifles? Those may be viable options as well.

·
Banned
918 Posts
"Out of manufacture" doesn't mean to much, with a pattern gun like the AR.
That said, I recently built an AR using a BCM barrel that's pretty good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, thanks for the input. I wound up going with the BCM - mostly because the decision was made for me by the M&P selling out, and the rest of them dwindling in supply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts