Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I change a battery in the car, truck or whatever, I always apply a nice coating of petroleum jelly around the cables and battery connections. This will keep the battery cables free from corrosion.
I even done this to the bike right after I got it, I like nice clean connections!

G

·
0 Posts
Anyone remember using baking soda to clean up the top of a old battery - before the sealed units became available. Or leaving copper pennys on the top to nuetralize the acid that leaked...

Man, I'm dating how old I am... ;)

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Don't remember the penny idea but my dad cleaned the batteries and terminals with baking soda all the time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Many years ago, a lady came out of a grocery store and her car would not turn over. She opened the hood and pulled out a can of Coka Cola from her grocery bag. She poured the Coke on her battery connections, waited a few minutes, started the car and drove off.

Kirt

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Baking soda (IMHO) ranks right up there with miracle drugs! :ymparty:
It's not only a battery-terminal cleaner, but the best cure for indigestion there ever was, a super tooth-brushing material, and I guess it works pretty well in the kitchen, too. :lol:
Don

·
Registered
628 Posts
I recall all of those methods.
Once I was jumping another car
with a bad ground cable -
couldn't make it happen...
then I moved the car so both
bumpers were touching -
Vroom, vroom!
Chromed bumpers - really dating myself.

G

·
0 Posts
You old guys. Next thing you know is that you all will be telling us about the time when you hooked up a model T coil to the car and shocked your buddy while hiding inside! :lol: Hello to all! B-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I still use baking soda on my battery terminals. I pour vinegar on the sola to really make it bubble. Then I rinse it off and when dry, I also do the Vaseline trick.

I am an old phart too!

·
Registered
554 Posts
l;jmfo;
Smartypants. LoL.

Nice to know that the coke works with dried bugs on the glass, too! Those things irritate me to no end!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Pour a bottle in your toilet and it'll clean out the "ring around the collar" in the bowl too. okfvnail

·
Registered
829 Posts
No Sh!t? :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts